Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent power loss to drivers window

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Question Intermittent power loss to drivers window

OK....need some help. I am having a very annoying issue with the drivers side power window on my 2006 A6 3.2 Quattro.

It will be working fine, and then just completely stop responding to the switch movements. I can work the switch up and down with no response. All other windows work fine. What's odd is that if I just leave it alone, it starts working again in about 10-15 minutes or if it is just parked for a little while. Once I get back in and start it up, the window works fine for days / weeks with no issues. I have had to park my car out in public now twice with the window down in the last month because I could not get it to roll back up....in 20 degree weather too! Once I come back to the car, get in and start it up, it works fine. When it does work, it moves up and down very smoothly and quickly with no sluggishness at all and no noise. The switch makes a nice clean clicking sound up and down, and the auto up/down works fine. It is almost like something is cutting the power to it temporarily and then restores it after it sits for a while. Seems like an electrical gremlin and not something physically wrong somewhere with the motor, the switch, or window mechanism inside the door. I can't reproduce the issue on demand, so I don't want to go into the dealership and have them replace the switch, motor, wiring, etc. and have it not even fix the problem. Anybody have any ideas as to what I could check out?

I hate flakey problems like this that cannot be reproduced, but are a MAJOR problem when they actually happen.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:44 PM
1st Gear

I'm sorry to see no one responded to your post as I am having EXACTLY the same issue with my 2006 A6. Will work fine 90 out of 100 times, but that one time it doesn't work it's such a nuisance! To top it off I'm in the military, so must roll down my driver's side window every time I drive through the gate to show my ID. Those days it won't roll back up when it's -10 degrees are a real pain in the a%$. Worked fine all summer, but just when I started thinking it fixed itself (should've known better) it did it again last week. It still falls under "certified pre-owned" but because the dealership service department "couldn't duplicate" the problem they refused to do anything. In the meantime I'm stuck with a driver's side window that I'm afraid to roll down, and the warranty's about to expire. I'm curious, did you ever find out the problem, or did you just decide to live with it, as I have been for the past year???