Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought A6 2.7t and have a few questions

Old 07-27-2005, 06:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Just bought A6 2.7t and have a few questions

Hi just bought my new a6 2001 model, frist of all i love this car. I dont usually keep a car longer than a year but this i will. Anyway back to the questions, I going to do an oil change and just wondered what oil and filter are best to use. Also is there anthing i should know before i do this, cant imagine there is but its worth checking. Second question, it has the symphony 6 disc headunit which i dont have the manual for and it doesnt switch on and off with the ignition, also most of the time I only get output from I think the speakers in the back doors, but sometimes they all work (shelf, back doors, and front doors). Anyone had these sorts of problems before? I have just bought the radio removal keys and am expecting these in a few days, i should then be able to get behind the unit and see if there are any lose connections. Last thing is it pretty simple to remove the headunit?

Cheers in advance for all the help.

Charlie

Old 07-28-2005, 07:03 AM
Default RE: Just bought A6 2.7t and have a few questions

I just use a Bosch filter, hey it's all German right . Honestly I'd use a K&N or a Mobil 1 filter but they don't make it for the A6 2.7T Make sure to use Mobil Full synthetic oil though. 10w30 year around is pretty good. Make sure to call an Audi dealer give them your vin for the radio code before you pull it out. Never had a speaker problem though. You might consult the dealer about head unit doing that, they don't have to do the work but they've answered questions for me for free even though I bought mine from someone else.
-Shane.

Old 07-28-2005, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for that, just one more question if anyone can answer in the picture below what part is number 1. I ask because today while i was driving i got the abs, ecu, and traction lights come on. I noticed the plug number 2 and after a little firm push (while the engine was off) when i switch the ignition back on all the lights went off, so im guessing that this was just a lose connection. Im just curious what part this is and what is does.

Cheers
Charlie

[IMG]local://upfiles/7629/32E3AE55AF7C4347BE3F05AE0E969D57.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-29-2005, 11:31 PM
2nd Gear

As a side note, you might have Audi *they'll do the check for free but charge ya 200 to replace* check your ignition switch. You know how on a normal car when you start it, the headlights and radio shut off to direct power to the starter (if not find another car and try it) Yeah it works the same way with your Audi. The radio problem makes me think you're ignition switch might be sticking in start. You could check it too, #1 when you have the car in park or neutral does it sound like something is running (the starter) (when the radio is acting up) and #2 you can pull the screws in your gauge cluster, and behind your key slot is the ignition switch, it should be a white plastic cylinder. If it looks cracked and broken that is a good sign it is broken. A mechanic can tell you by the way your key feels when you turn it. Audi ignition switches are kind of cheap and break easily.
My thoughts from reading your radio problem, it might save you a lot of chasing time.

(This used to say more but I changed it because I realized you weren't saying your headlights did not work)

Old 07-29-2005, 11:33 PM
2nd Gear

Oh and your arrow # 1 looks like it is pointing at the wheel sensor coming in (bunch of wires). those four black tubes coming in are brake fluid lines for your electric depressureizing something or other. That is what the Haynes manual says. Looking on my car, yeah hard tubes are brake lines, soft bunch of wires is your wheel speed sensors.

Old 07-29-2005, 11:37 PM
2nd Gear

Oh sorry, I get it, the anti lock brake lights went off not the headlights.
Well the brake lights will go off when you restart the car anyway. But if the lights continue to come on, you may need to clean your wheel sensors (not the black tubes coming in, not the wire cluster side, the other end at the wheels) They get dirty and send faulty readings to your antilock system and it will turn on your brake light, antilock off light and sometimes the Check Engine Light.

Man, my typing on this was aweful, I think I have finally edited it close enough to something useful

Old 08-03-2005, 11:07 AM
1st Gear

Cheers Dan, ive sorted the problem with that help. Ive got another one of my pictures (again) with a quick question re taking my head unit out, i'm going to do what Shane advised and get my unlock code (which audi want to charge me £40 for). Im guessing what the arrows point to are where you insert the removal keys, which is what i have done when i pull on them one of the keys just comes back out and the other is just stuck. It does look like someone has had this off before as there is a phone handsfree kit coming out the side. Just wondered if someone who has done this before could give me a few pointers.

Cheers
Charlie

P.S I did the oil change and its now running that bit better, cheers for the advise on that. I'm waiting to see if i get a few extra mpg now.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7629/3F4618FA670A4CF496F79022BA71B639.jpg[/IMG]