Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just A Few Small Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 12:53 AM
1st Gear
Default Just A Few Small Questions

I recently purchased my first Audi on Monday, and it a 2004 2.7 A6. I noticed a few small things so far and just need some clarification. My instrument cluster says Service, but does not say what, while it is notifying me of low windshield wiper wash. Could that be the possible service issue? Also, I tried filling up the resevoir, and it filled up halfway and then it started poring out. And I don't mean a trickle I mean almost faucet like. Possibly a crack in the resevoir? There is also a high pitched whine that sounds almost electronic when the car is running. I am new to turbos and do not know all the sounds so it may be nothing. And last, is there any way I can tell if the timing belt, serpentine belt setup has been changed? Sorry, for all the noob questions.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:24 AM
2nd Gear

the "service" is just a reminder that general servicing is coming up. nothing serious can be erased at the dealership or through vag-com. it comes up when you hit a certain mileage.

the cracked reservoir is a common problem. you can get a new one here:
Audi C5 A6 Quattro 2.7T > Search > Coolant > ES#429412 Coolant Expansion Tank - 8D0121403M

can you tell where the whine is coming from under the hood? could be the serpentine going bad. check the serpentine and the timing belts for wear. how many miles are on the car?

.... it doesnt sound like a dentist drill, does it? if so check for leaking oil.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:29 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

^^^^^
agreed

whine under the hood when the car is running is probably not the turbos. the telltale is the dentist drill whine but that should only happen under acceleration. when your car is warmed up and running it should be almost silent. does the whine only happen when you first start the car and last until it is warmed up a bit? if so, probably the SAI pump. whine means its working...

Old 07-28-2011, 11:37 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, it sounds a bit like a dentist drill. And it comes more from the back of the engine compartment when I turn the car on. After it warms up I don't really hear it, but I haven't had a chance to check it out after it has been on for a bit.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:53 PM
2nd Gear

do you have any oil leaking under the car? you may want to remove the skip pan under the front of the car. the dentist drill sound is usually the tell tale warning that a turbo is about to give up. however i think 02a6beau is on the right track.

warm it up see what happens.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:10 PM
1st Gear

If your high pitch sound is coming on only cold starts and disappears after a minute its your secondary air pump not turbos. your turbos should make a hissing whistle. if the turbos are bad they will emit white smoke or make dentist drill sounds.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:09 AM
1st Gear

So far no smoke or oil. And the sound is only there for a few minutes after starting and then goes away. I really hope its nothing though because I can't afford to replace the turbos because I just bough this car

Old 07-31-2011, 05:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Kite09
So far no smoke or oil. And the sound is only there for a few minutes after starting and then goes away. I really hope its nothing though because I can't afford to replace the turbos because I just bough this car

if it sounds like this its ur secondary air pump
‪Audi secondary air injection pump‬‏ - YouTube

if it sounds like this its your turbos
‪How A 2.7T SHOULDN'T Sound...‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by budhani786
if it sounds like this its ur secondary air pump
‪Audi secondary air injection pump‬‏ - YouTube

if it sounds like this its your turbos
‪How A 2.7T SHOULDN'T Sound...‬‏ - YouTube
Thank you so much for those videos. Now I know it is the SAP instead of the turbos. And this sound means it is working right? Sorry, I'm still learning and am a bit mechanically inept.

Last edited by Kite09; 07-31-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:31 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Kite09
Thank you so much for those videos. Now I know it is the SAP instead of the turbos. And this sound means it is working right? Sorry, I'm still learning and am a bit mechanically inept.
NP! and that i dont know. some say if that sound means the sap is coming to an end and some say it means its working.

but ive noticed that my car doesnt shift to 2nd gear on the normal rpm rnage from cold start. does yours do that as well? it shifts around 4k and after that its fine.

Quick Reply: Just A Few Small Questions