Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key will not rebound after start

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 11:50 PM
Default Key will not rebound after start

i have a '96 A6 2.8L. my problem is that once you start the car and let go of the key, the key does not spring back. i have to manually turn it back. does anyone know how i can fix it? thanks......

Old 09-05-2005, 02:16 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Key will not rebound after start

Someone just asked this question yesterday.

But love responding so...

It is your ignition switch. The things are total pieces of crap in my opinion. Should be a totally different set up. An ignition switch is basically the piece behind your key that controls whether the power is on off etc. It is on a spring.

The switch is made of plastic and that is what fails. It is about a 30 dollar part you can buy it at any vw or audi dealer. Or order it online. blauparts.com has the part and instructions on how to put it in. Never have used them but some say they are cool.

To put it in, You pull out your gauge cluster three screws in the bottom of the gauge retaining piece pull that out (slightly cocked to the left (there is a pin) then two or three screws on the gauges. Behind the area of the dash you put your key in there is a white plastic cylinder that is it. I never did figure out how to remove mine with out destroying it so good luck. From what I could tell there is a retaining screw that i never found. Should just slide in/ out and be one wire that you transfer over.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:25 PM

Thanks for the info......

Old 09-07-2005, 01:07 AM
2nd Gear

first i would try some graphite it may just be stuck.