Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 05:28 AM
Default Lots of Leaks

I just got back form getting an oil change at the local stealership (it's really cold); anyway a fair amount of things were noted as leaking. I picked my car up long after the the service guys were done so I wasn't able to ask any questions about the results.

Here's what they noted under, verbatim...

Oil Leaks - Engine
Cam Seals, V/C Gasket, Turbo Oil Return Line (Driver's side)

And...
Oil Leaks - Transmission
Rear Driveshaft Seal, Passenger Rear Axle Shaft Seal

I tried searching write ups/estimates and fixes and only had luck on Cam Seals.

Are these common problems?

Which of these are a must fix?

What am I looking at as far as cost, mechanic or buying parts and doing it myself?

I'm mechanically inclined and follow instructions well, would I be able to take care of this stuff myself, or is it a PITA?

Is there a manual that will tell me how to fix all this stuff, like Bentley?

I'm a little stressed out, so any help is much appreciated.

Oh and it's an '01 A6 2.7T.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:58 AM
2nd Gear

The valve cover gasket and cam seals appear to be known, common issues. The cam seal should be replaced, if it is leaking, when doing a TB replacement. It is impossible to tell if the cam seal is leaking or if it is just the front of the VC gasket. The valve cover gasket should be reasonably easy to fix. I am about to find that out myself as my driver's side gasket is leaking right behind the cam gear so I thought it was a cam seal leak.

Turbo oil return line sounds like an "interesting" job! I've had to do this on a Mazda, but not an Audi and especially not the 2.7 where the turbos are tucked way up out of the way.

The rear driveshaft seal on the transmission should be fairly easy if you have access to a hoist. I would bet that the exhaust has to come off, then the driveshaft, but that should be it.

The Passenger Rear Axle Shaft Seal sounds like a rear differential seal, not a transmission seal. I haven't had the pleasure of removing a rear axle, but I would bet that the rear suspension has to be taken apart. Probably not as difficult as the front suspension.

Did you get quotes on any of these?

Bob

Old 10-25-2008, 01:36 PM

I was only able to get a quote on the Turbo oil line, $350 if it's just an O-Ring replacement, and he said they'd do both sides at that price, I didn't get quoted on anything else.

I don't know of any reliable non stealership mechanics where I live, I moved here from Texas so I don't have connections, I'm in Everett, WA. So If anyone has any suggestions of any kind I'm all ears.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:57 AM
2nd Gear

The common source are the cam adjuster seals!
The right side adjuster is at the rear- just above the turbo; if the seal leaks the t lines get oily.
Seals could be replaced w/o getting the adjusters off - look at Audi World for an article.

Cam seals only swell - rarely leak.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:15 PM

I get what you're saying about the cam seal leaking above the turbo, I'll check Audi World too...

but the "Rear Driveshaft Seal, Passenger Rear Axle Shaft Seal" listed would be a separate issue all together, correct?

Thanks for the input!

Old 10-28-2008, 03:45 AM
1st Gear

valve cover gasket is definatly a job you could handle. The cam seals are tough. If they are just seeping, I wouldnt worry about them immeadiatly. If the transmission is leaking from the rear seal(probably the most common), the exhaust has to be dropped. Parts will be like $30 but the labor is a good 2 to 3 hours if you have a lift.