Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Air Pump at start up

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 06:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Loud Air Pump at start up

Hi all - New to Audi and new to this forum so I hope I am posting this in the right area. There is a wealth of knowledge here and I am appreciative of all the support. I hope there are still some 2.7 enthusiasts out there as I know they are older cars now.

Quick background. Dealership wanted 2K for timing belt, cam seals, valve cover seals, water pump, thermostat, idlers, and serpentine belt so I did the job myself. I am mechanically inclined and didn't find the task all that daunting. I do plan on going stage 1+ so I replace the TBB/DV's/and air filter (per my sig) to be ready for the APR ECU upgrade.

After re-assembly the air pump is frightening loud now for the first minute or so on cold start up. It is possible I may have missed a hose like on the Combi valves so I intend to check that this weekend. I just thought I would ask since I will have the "Y" pipe off again if any of you ever experienced this and what else to check while at it? There are no CEL's on.

If I find no hoses open, or no other issues you all may mentions I can only assume it's the air pump going out. Where I do not have emissions, I assume the best option is a delete? I can have the CEL coded out when they do the APR re-flash.

Thanks for any help!!

Old 05-06-2015, 08:31 PM
2nd Gear

Fellow 2.7T owner here with a good amount of experience around the setup and common problems of these cars.

Check to see if the large black hose is cracked. The hose connects the kombi vales to the Bosch air pump that is located right behind the driver's side head. This hose becomes brittle and easily cracks when work is performed around it.

After that, I would suspect the pump is going bad. These are known to go bad. If you have access to VAG com you can perform an output test from the UI to confirm. If not, you can disconnect the pump and apply 12v directly to the pump and listen to the sound.

There might be other culprits, but this is a good start. Let us know how you make out.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:24 AM
1st Gear

Thanks mate - I will check what you suggest. I do not have a vag com but will either get one or apply power direct.

Ill let you know what I find out this weekend.

Thanks again!!!

Old 05-13-2015, 01:03 PM
1st Gear

Nebuchadnezzar - Hey just wanted to let you know that after checking all hoses and connections, I found them to be in good order so I pulled the SAI. After disassembling, it was clear the bearings in the motor were in poor condition so I ordered a new Bosch - $236.82 delivered 2nd day air (not a re-man either).