Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metaly engine noise when cold, 96 2.8.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 12:26 AM
1st Gear
Default Metaly engine noise when cold, 96 2.8.

When I start my car up first thing in the morning I can hear a metaly type sound from my engine bay. I think its on the drivers side but I cant really tell. It goes away after a couple of seconds, I am just a perinoid type of person and it worries me that it can be a vital engine part that may run the T-belt like a roller or something. Know I don't know when the T-belt was changed last but I looked at it and it all looks new maybey 5K on it if tops. The waterpump,roller and T-belt all look new, and are still shiney.

I was told it could be the cats and that the broken pices will ratlle in there till warm, I was also told that there is a roller type tensioner on the drivers side of the engine bay and to look at it right after starting, but I don't see a roller anywhere. I did just have the rear tranny seal fixed so maybe when they droped the cats something did break loose, but that was about two weeks ago and I just noticed it the other day. So if anyone can give me some insite as for what to look for it would make me feel alot better.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:31 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Metaly engine noise when cold, 96 2.8.

Sounds more like an oil issue. When the engine is shut off the pump and sometimes valves are supposed to keep oil in the upper parts of the engine. If oil is leaking back to the pan. The engine is starting up with less than ideal oil in someplaces. Causing the noise. Happens everytime an oil change is perfomred. If it was the cats i would expect it to last longer than a couple seconds. They take some time to get warmed up.