Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might buy an 2005 A6 - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Default Might buy an 2005 A6 - Questions

I am looking at buying a 2005 Audi A6 with the V6, navigation & XM. The car has 42K miles, and I can probably get the dealer down a bit. My questions are:

1. Are there any issues with this year / model Audi with this mileage? What should I expect?

2. What kind of mileage do people get? I commute 148 miles five days a week.......

3. Any reasons to NOT buy this car, or deal with Jim Ellison Audi in Atlanta?

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2007, 05:39 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Might buy an 2005 A6 - Questions

I have an 05 4.2 that I purchased new. Because you are purchasing the 3.2 my information may not completely apply to the car you are looking at. [/align][/align]Around town she does about 14, on the highway about 25.

As far as reliability, she is ok, but she is no Lexus. Most of the problems have been nuisances. Some of which may be because I have one of the early 05s.

The airbag light came on two weeks after I purchased the car. It took them 10 days to figure out the problem. Audi then came out with a TSB on updating the computer software for the airbags.

The MMI "crashed" a year after I bought the car. After having the car for 8 days, Audi wiped the hardware clean and reinstalled the MMI computer software.

The MMI had a few bugs with not updating the satellite radio stations, losing surround settings and sometimes not automatically linking with my bluetooth phone. Audi had the car for a day and updated the MMI computer software. Audi has a TSB on this issue as well.

I have written those three problems off to having a very early computer software version. To give you an idea of the number of changes in the software, my car came with MMI version 10 and now has version 33. Since being updated to MMI version 33, about two months ago, I have not had any computer issues.

As far as non-computer issues. I have had a few. The first was that all 8 coil packs had to be replaced. The second was the lid for the gas cap would not open from inside the car. In order to open it I had to wedge my credit card inside the lid and open it from the outside. Audi had the car for 2 days to fix these problems. The third was that the frame for the front passenger seat came loose and the entire seat had to be removed and the bolts tightened. The fourth was a rattle in the glove box area of the dashboard. Similiar to the computer issues discussed above,Audi has TSBs on allof these issues seeming to indicate that my problems are not isolated to just my car. According to the TSBs Audi correctedthese problems about halfway through the 05 model year.

Despite the car being at the dealer for 21 days for repairs during the last 27 months, not maintenance, I would certainly buy the car again because it is a lot of fun to drive and the dealer gives me a loaner. However, I would check which MMI software version is currently in the car. If it is below 33, I would take it to Audi and have it updated as soon as possible. In addition, I would check the car's VIN and compare it to the Audi TSBs and see what issues you need to keep an eye on. You can get copies of the Audi TSBs at eBahn's website. While the car is still under warranty, I would make sure you complain about any issues contained on the TSBs issued for your VIN.

Good luck.

Kevin [/align]

Old 05-12-2007, 11:20 AM

Are you running on the extended warranty? The car I am looking at has 42K miles, and in 8K it will be on the extended warranty. I am planning on getting the warranty paperwork and going over it, but I wanted to talk to someone who has actually used the extended warranty. The sales guy is talking that everything is almost like a copay for health insurance - $50 and they fix whatever it is.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:37 AM
2nd Gear

I have 30K on the clock. I did not go with Audi's extended warranty. I went with a 100,000/84month extended warranty through the AAA. The AAA's warranty was $3,000 compared to Audi's $4,000 and the AAA warranty had a zero dollar deductible. Both warranties were exclusion type warranties, with the AAA having fewer excluded items. With that said,since I am still under 50K I can't give you any service feedback.

Kevin