Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire P0304 again

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 11:47 AM
2nd Gear

It's Back Just P0300 and P0304.
I have been turning on ignition to let the pump build-up pressure if that was the problem, It's not.

I am going to test both the crossover valve and the Intake manifold tuning valve they work together. Maybe not having vacuum for so long messed it up.

I'm replacing all the Vacuum lines because they're old but I don't think that's it. could it be that it is taking to long to create vacuum?

This weekend I'll pull that plug out after it sits overnight before I start it and see if there is anything leaking into the cylinder.The old plug showed a little more carbon build-up than the other 5 but nothing alarming. What you would expect if it had not fired a few times. Then I'll start it on the Vag-com and see what's misfiring and for how long. Seems to be Cyl 4, would cyl 4 throw a multiple misfire code as well. None of the other cylinders are throwing a code.

Cam Sensors?

It has to be something on start up. Like you said the ECU adapts and it goes away. Also it is something the engine does not need when it is warm.- Fuel mixture problem or a slight leak in the head gasket in that corner. I'll chase that wire back. maybe it's pinched. Trim adaption is 0.0 both banks at 90c to 99c

Throw some ideas at me!
Anything that doesn't involve the head gasket or ECU would be nice.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Site Moderator

******* 3.0L POS. I hate this damn engine. So only #4 is throwing a code now huh?
So swapping the coil to a different cylinder doesn't change anything? You do know once you erase the fault codes the fuel trims won't be reset for about 100 miles right? Drive the car until you get something to show up in data block 32, although i doubt that could be the problem if you're only missing on one cylinder.
Ok, when the engine is running you're looking at data block 14 or whatever and see there is a current misfire on #4 right? How many times does it miss?

Old 04-29-2009, 11:23 PM
2nd Gear

That's just it, cylinder 4 only misses for a few seconds on start up and than it runs fine. It runs like silk after that and my MPG is improving WTF 20-21. When it starts I'll get two shakes with-in the first couple revolutions and that's it. It is not completely braking up. It started fine after sitting 8 hours tonight at work. Usually does it in the morning/colder. The new coils and plugs have not affected the problem at all. I have cleaned and greased all the connections on the cylinder end, maybe it’s mossy on the other end.

I only have the one shot on some mornings then it won’t do it again.

I have to hook the Vag-Com to it tomorrow morning and see if it will give me something cold. Other than that I just really need to poke around and find something to give me a direction. I read up on how it detects a misfire and the CEL is not blinking it is solid.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:33 PM
2nd Gear

The Latest Intel;

Car sat 14hours, I hooked up Vag-Com and it showed no codes after being started 10 times (warm) after yesterday morning (the last time it misfired). Temp maybe went down to a brisk 68 degrees last night.

I started car:
Total misfires-30
Cyl 1 - 1
Cyl 2 - 0
Cyl 3 - 0
Cyl 4 - 29
Cyl 5 - 0
Cyl 6 - 0

Shortly after the screen reset and displayed all Zeros
It would not misfire again. This is going to take a month of Sundays at this rate. Why can't my problems stay broken?

I am going to start by checking the following;
-I'll check the cylinder and see if antifreeze seeps into it over night. I haven't smelled any but could be just a little bit while I’m in the car.
-I'll see if the injector gets juice consistently.
-I'll have to figure out a way to test the coil wiring as well.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Site Moderator

29 misfires is way too many, i would say there is a software issue with the ECM. If the engine actually DID misfire 29 times it would have to at least missed on a couple other cylinders because the engine would be stumbling so much. I belive you are dealing with a gremlin in the engine management sort of speak.
Now, the dealer does have several re-flash CD's that have cured many misfires on a LOT of cars i have worked on in the past. One very similar to yourw with 30+ misses on one cylinder on a 1.8T, which turned out to be faulty programming. Call the dealer with your VIN number and see if the dealer may have a TSB flash available for you car. The dealer will automatically think that you are a moron and treat you like you may not know what you are talking about so definately tell them what you have done to this point and you are no stranger to an audi engine.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:54 AM
2nd Gear

I called them. Problem is I know more than the Audi consultant or what ever they call him, nice guy though. But can't tell me crap. I'm going to drown out as many possiblities as possible this weekend. Then I'll go down and speak with their mechanic. If it is a software problem I'm going to chase it back to the ECM first.

It is misfiring alot. I started it this morning and shoved my head up the exaust pipe trying to smell coolant. All I felt was missing cylinders. I can say it felt better after the new plugs and coils. It also did it last night so it seems like it may be getting worse. Could be wishfull thinking though. I'm getting ready to dive into it I'll let you know.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:25 PM
2nd Gear

I found it in the Bentley Manual.

TSB 01-04-06 Update

Programming (Flashing) Engine Control Module (ECM) to Correct Cold Start Engine Stumble (Aug. 30,2004)

After Cold Start Engine Runs Rough. Vehicle may Stumble, Buck and or Shutter on initial acceleration. Engine may stall at idle when transmission is shifted from Neutral/Park to Drive/Reverse.

Condition usually lasts for less than 30 seconds after engine start. Afterwards the vehicle starts and runs without any complaints.

Condition associated with the following DTCs.
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0301-P0306 Cylinder 1 through 6 Misfire Detected

That's it exactly.

This TSB is for a 2.7T but same symptoms exactly

Thanks that was huge!

I wonder how much it will cost for a Flash. I'm still sitting on ice from the trany service the "F"ed up.