Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat assembly needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 01:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Thermostat assembly needed?

I just ordered my TB kit from blauparts and I'm wondering if I need the thermostat assembly. If anyone else has any other 3.0 tips on the TB change send them my way. I know it's going to be a PITA, but i've got guiness chilling until the parts arrive.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:04 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by crazyguy
I just ordered my TB kit from blauparts and I'm wondering if I need the thermostat assembly.
You need one only if it is warped by the thermostat seat or punctured (highly impossible). Otherwise it is an unecessary expense.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:18 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
You need one only if it is warped by the thermostat seat or punctured (highly impossible). Otherwise it is an unecessary expense.
thanks man. If I need any parts cleaned you know who I'm sending them to

Old 04-27-2009, 02:25 PM
3rd Gear

LOL...
And the payment will be in beers for everyone around.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
LOL...
Everyone knows it's impossible to work on a car without a cold one to told the toolbox lid open....

Old 04-27-2009, 04:09 PM
4th Gear

Everyone? I'm there...

Old 04-27-2009, 04:20 PM
3rd Gear

When I'll put back together the car I'll make a special trip to Indiana to have a cold one with you, Jim.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:22 AM
2nd Gear

Order the thermostat, also go to Audi and order a crank seal, cam seals and the cam bolt caps and a crankshaft bolt it is Torque to yield-1 time use. Blauparts will give you O-rings that may or may not work and a crank seal that you can have the kids paint and use it as an ornament. You are better off replacing all four caps so they don't leak oil 4.00 each cap Try this link.
http://www.primepartssuperstore.com/...layCatalogid=0

or http://www.primepartssuperstore.com/

The one other part you will need is the front engine mount it is a shity piece of foam crap that slides into place. you can buy a better one at www.ecstuning.com engine snub mount es#4665, 35.00. The Oem one cost 16.91 part no wo133-1737394 get it! or you'll be going back in there.

Also go get yourself a 5mm and a 8mm long and short allen socket driver with a ball head you may want two 8mm the friggin plug for the crank locking tool is a PITA and you might brake one. You need to move the Aux powersteering pump on the bottom right as you look at the engine it is a round black allen. Either Sears, Mac, Snap-on, or Harbor frieght for those.

You will also need the timing tools can't do it with them rent them from blauparts or buy them on ebay.

and finally - you owe me for this one "the instuctions with photos"
http://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/1077578.phtml

The only other tip I can give you is for the tensioner before you remove it look closely under it there is a thin piece of spring steel protruding through the bottom with holes in it. Push an awl or anything through the hole to lock it in place. I didn't and I had one hell of a fight to get that mother to stick it's tail back through the hole so I could lock it in place. If you get the tool kit use one of the VAG tools Audi stole from an easter egg coloring kit that come with it. Pin with a loop.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jackmup
Order the thermostat, also go to Audi and order a crank seal, cam seals and the cam bolt caps and a crankshaft bolt it is Torque to yield-1 time use. Blauparts will give you O-rings that may or may not work and a crank seal that you can have the kids paint and use it as an ornament. You are better off replacing all four caps so they don't leak oil 4.00 each cap Try this link.
http://www.primepartssuperstore.com/...layCatalogid=0

or http://www.primepartssuperstore.com/

The one other part you will need is the front engine mount it is a shity piece of foam crap that slides into place. you can buy a better one at www.ecstuning.com engine snub mount es#4665, 35.00. The Oem one cost 16.91 part no wo133-1737394 get it! or you'll be going back in there.

Also go get yourself a 5mm and a 8mm long and short allen socket driver with a ball head you may want two 8mm the friggin plug for the crank locking tool is a PITA and you might brake one. You need to move the Aux powersteering pump on the bottom right as you look at the engine it is a round black allen. Either Sears, Mac, Snap-on, or Harbor frieght for those.

You will also need the timing tools can't do it with them rent them from blauparts or buy them on ebay.

and finally - you owe me for this one "the instuctions with photos"
http://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/1077578.phtml

The only other tip I can give you is for the tensioner before you remove it look closely under it there is a thin piece of spring steel protruding through the bottom with holes in it. Push an awl or anything through the hole to lock it in place. I didn't and I had one hell of a fight to get that mother to stick it's tail back through the hole so I could lock it in place. If you get the tool kit use one of the VAG tools Audi stole from an easter egg coloring kit that come with it. Pin with a loop.
Thanks for the great tips and the diy... guess that means that I don't have to do one! Honestly, you're work looks great and I'm sure I will appreciate it even more in a couple of weeks.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:49 PM
2nd Gear

That's not me on the DYI. I found that when I did mine. Combined with the blau and bentley instructions you will be tight with info. Beware he does not do his crankseal. It is a huge PITA but worth the extra time and should be easier if you have the 8mm round head socket drivers ready. That one is your call. But the CAM seals are so easy and right there it would be wrong not to do those.