Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor mounts question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 06:35 PM
1st Gear
Default motor mounts question

Hey guys,

first off, I want to thank anybody for their input.

I have a question about my motor/trans mounts.
I have a 99 audi a6 2.8 quattro. 130k on the odometer.
My exhaust keeps cracking right on the bottom of the drivers and passengers side.
Had it in the shop to get the flex pipes replaced and they took care of the broken/cracked pipes. Btw there are not exhaust clips. manifolds, flex pipes, cats, and rear stock mufflers. Resonator was taken off cause that was leaking too.
Does she needs mounts? and if so which ones?
I was thinking about welding a couple more flex pipes till i get those mounts tackled.
Am just concerned if the exhaust system is subject to torque instead movement so putting flex pipes wouldnt really help

Thanks

Last edited by phoraris; 08-17-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:09 PM
3rd Gear

Were you the owner of the car when the timing belt was replaced? Usually it is recommended you replace the snub mount during the belt change. I don't know where all the mounts are, but see if you can look up there locations and check if yours are in poor condition. Other than that, I'm not sure what else you can do.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:18 AM
1st Gear

Hey Jeffla thanks for the input, I wasnt the owner that had the timing belt replaced so I wouldnt know, although no signs of wear on the snub mount bushing-rubber.

Just wanted to follow through on this. Mounts look fine, no hydraulic leakage snub mount is fine as well.
I am pretty sure any exhaust guy can vouch on this. Exhaust systems as they rust they get weaker obviously, when repaired its strength is focused on that part only (I guess this is why a damaged frame is tack welded).
Because of that the pipe will find a weak point further up, or down.
Long story short I needed a new system. I recommend if you are in the same situation and the mounts are not showing signs of wear just get a whole system.
I started fixing the flex pipe then this and that, ending up with a patch up exhaust system then I had toreplaced the whole thing. Replacing the whole thing at first gives you a peace of mind, plus its money well spent rather than a simple fix for the moment.

Hopes it helps

Last edited by phoraris; 08-20-2011 at 10:21 AM.