Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Engine Temp Gauge on Dash Stays ON COLD! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Tech Certified

The $150 charge is for diagnostics. The repair should be on top of that.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Sline4.2
I dont know but I took the car to Fletcher Jones Audi in Chicago this morning to find out what is really going on. That will cost me 150.00. Does the thermostat cost alot to repair?
The thermostat alone is about 30 dollars or so. It's the labor that is going to kill you because you have to go in as if you were doing the timing belt. Which means front end and everything comes off. But, that is assuming it is anything like the 2.7. But if that is the case and you end up replacing your thermostat you might as well go in there and do the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, and all the pulleys and cam seals. That way you don't have to go in there again.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:16 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Kite09
The thermostat alone is about 30 dollars or so. It's the labor that is going to kill you because you have to go in as if you were doing the timing belt. Which means front end and everything comes off. But, that is assuming it is anything like the 2.7. But if that is the case and you end up replacing your thermostat you might as well go in there and do the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, and all the pulleys and cam seals. That way you don't have to go in there again.
If I recall I believe the 05 engines used can chains not belts. So do everything that's kite09 has said minus the timing belt. If I'm wrong and the new 4.2 has a belt get that changed as well.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:24 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by M5S5
Please let us know what the outcome is.
You will have wait & see what they say. They should provide you with a estimate before proceeding with any work.
So I got the car back yesterday and it WAS the Engine Temperature Sensor. My Local German shop installed the part correctly but did Not bleed it to Release all of the air pockets involved with installing the new sensor. At least that's what the dealership told me. They called me and said that the Sensor was bad and I told them I replaced the sensor yesterday. They asked about the quality of part and where I bought the part from but lucky for me I bought the part from their Parts Department. They then proceeded to resolve the issue. The cleared the codes too so you are right; I will need a Vag--Com. Thanks for all of your support. They did mention that one of my control arms in the future could use some attention so I will now begin to research that issue.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:26 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Kite09
Well yesterday I found out it was only the Engine Temperature Sensor. They just had to bleed it to release the excess air and clear the codes. My bill actually came out to 140.25 so I was very pleased.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:27 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by budhani786
If I recall I believe the 05 engines used can chains not belts. So do everything that's kite09 has said minus the timing belt. If I'm wrong and the new 4.2 has a belt get that changed as well.
There was no need. It was the Temperature sensor.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:32 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by budhani786
150 seems reasonable. Very reasonable. This is with parts and labor included?

Also my car had the same symptoms as yours and I did the whole timing belt on it replacing the thermostat and it fixed the issues.

It was the Engine Temperature Sensor. They did try to attempt to tell me that it could be the thermostat but they kind of got the vibe that I wouldnt do that amount of service. I would just take the car back to the Audi Dealership where I bought it and demand them to fix it. All the dealer did was bleed the air out and clear the codes. I bought the sensor myself a day prior and had my euro mechanic install it so I am glad this is fixed. Only 140.25

Old 04-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Tech Certified

Thanks for posting the fix!