Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new baby A6 horror story :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 05:00 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation My new baby A6 horror story :(

2 weeks ago I bought a A6 V6 Quattro 2004 for 17 000ish, the car have seen 69k km . It is pretty clean however from 1 week now nightmares started.

First the LCD oil pressure light was blinking - biping three times and stayed on each time I started the car. I did a pressure test and its ok, I changed the car oil and verify I the motor was taking oil, everything was fine. Three days ago the car will start and died by itself, with or without the gas pedal pressed a bit.
I saw that my floor carpet where soaking wet. I open the hood and there was a little pool in the compartment of the battery and ECMWTF
The drain was jammed with leafs and mud. I clean that and I started drying the interior.

TODAY, when I turn my key in the ON position the car says 'PUSH CLUTCH PEDAL TO START ENGINE'... I do not understand nothing, my car is automatic/tiptronic and it says to push a clutch pedal that I dont even have.

I searched the web and read it was symptoms of TCM malfunctions, I uncovered my passenger side floor plastic and take the carpet up, discovering the mess: my TCM box was under 2 inch of water, I took it out the water, unplugged the battery, took the metal box outside of the plastic's one and shake it thoroughly to take out the liter of water inside..

The TCM is now in a closed tuperware full of rice. and the pool underneath my seats is drying .

Please help me, seriously I don't know what to do next and I need a car

Thank you in advance -Eric

Old 06-29-2011, 07:25 PM
2nd Gear

the water leaking into the battery compartment, behind the firewall is a very common problem caused by the drain getting clogged. this also causes the water to come into the interior foot wells and tcm area. this also happens when the sunroof drain holes a clogged. i've had this happen on my b5, but not to this extreme.

you need to dry everything as best you can. remove the seats, carpet, everything that is wet. use a hair dryer or a heat gun. dry out the tcm, but i'm guessing you might need a new one. gunk gets caught up behind the firewall all the time and you need to clean it out regularly to keep the ONE TINY drain hole from getting plugged. use a coat hanger or something similar t clean to the sunroof drain holes.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:33 PM
1st Gear

Is the oil pressure light a symptom of the tcm going nuts ?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:50 PM
2nd Gear

that or something else getting damaged by the water most likely.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:57 PM
1st Gear

Ok thank you,

Considering the TCM is dead and that i'm doing a rice job for nothing, how much a tcm unit cost new ?
Would it be a lot more economic to get it from a used car? $
Do someone here could have a TCM left?

Old 06-30-2011, 12:21 AM
2nd Gear

yeah for sure get a used one. try audi4parts.com. where are you located?

Old 06-30-2011, 12:54 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by FonzoB5S4
yeah for sure get a used one. try audi4parts.com. where are you located?
Joliette near MTL, Qc ,CANADA don't care about shipping I need this before my career school begin.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:32 AM
2nd Gear

shokan.com might be faster. also check audizine.com in the classifieds.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by FonzoB5S4
shokan.com might be faster. also check audizine.com in the classifieds.
I<m now getting the tcm out of its rice box, I will go try it tonight

Old 06-30-2011, 05:21 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by eric76
I<m now getting the tcm out of its rice box, I will go try it tonight

I started the engine, the light PRESS CLUTCH PEDAL is still on, however I was able to move from park, to reverse. The reverse is ok, but the Drive is like I'm on neutral. I retry this from starting the car but this time nothing happened..the engine started but I was unable to move it from Park...

Back in rice little b**ch

Quick Reply: My new baby A6 horror story :(