Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ned help, ASAP T-belt has no tension till car runs for a couple seconds?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 11:40 AM
1st Gear
Default Ned help, ASAP T-belt has no tension till car runs for a couple seconds?

I had a metally rumble in my engine bay. I took it to my Audi mechanic but he just listened for the sound and couldn't actually pull it apart at that time. he heard it and said he wants it back definately to inspect the T-belt rollers.

Well I got bored and have had the thing apart before and well I alsmost craped my pants when I saw this. The top part of the T-belt on both sides is lose, not good tension and I can wiggle it up and down pretty good. I started the car and I got that metally sound again and its comming from above the cranck case area, I cant get the plastic covers off anyfarther to see whats back there but I guess rollers and a tensioner?. Well I had the car running for about a minute and it went away so I was still stumped. I then realized that the T-belt had full tension again, and I could not move it up and down, so wtf is goin on.I don't want to drive it ither, or may it be ok till about the middle of this week untill I can get it in the shop.It gets its tension back after about a minute when the noise goes away.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:22 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Ned help, ASAP T-belt has no tension till car runs for a couple seconds?

Sounds like the timing belt tensioner has gone bad. I would just replace everything. Tensioner, rollers, belt and water pump/thermostat. I wouldnt risk driving it. It that belt breaks itll cost alot of money to get that thing running again.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:33 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Ned help, ASAP T-belt has no tension till car runs for a couple seconds?

I thought so, I had right to be perinoid and well when im right im right. I wonder exactly when I can get it in the shop.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:45 PM
2nd Gear

Based on what you're describing, I wouldn't even turn the engine on. That thing goes and you've got friend engine on your hands.