Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help

Old 06-04-2011, 06:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Need Help

1998 Audi A6 Quattro
2.8 V6 AHA
179,000 miles

Car will not start, Does not crank, Windows don’t roll down, sun roof does not work, but all other accessories work with key in accessory mode. Headlights, Windshield wipers, courtesy lights work, horn, radio, dashboard light, ect. Door locks work including with key FOB.

Suspect there is a problem with the central locking system

I’m working on the car with my dad and we even bought the repair manual for the A6 series. This is my first Audi and I don’t know a lot about them. If anyone could help me and give me a little help about these cars and common problems I would appreciate it .

Old 06-05-2011, 01:53 PM
3rd Gear

I've had discharged batteries still light the headlights and work the horn, but not enough to start. Often just the sound of the solenoid trying to fire, sometimes no sound. Check the simple stuff first and ensure you have a fully charged battery or try to jump it. The accessories you listed have larger motors and draw more power than the radio, lights, etc.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:46 AM
1st Gear

pull up the carpeting on the drivers side front floor you have all the classic symptoms of water intrusion into the interior control module. when you pull the carpet back there is a black box recessed into the floor open it up and check for moisture if there is water in it or if the carpet and insulation is wet read through this thread and feel free to message me if you have any questions https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=169323

Old 06-06-2011, 11:57 AM
1st Gear
Default Need Help...

Good morning,

Just to provide an update, the battery is in good shape. It's been on a trickle charge (2 amp) for 4 days. And we put in in another car and it has the power to start the other vehicle. We pulled the dash and the driver's floor, and the fuses are good and the Central Locking Unit is immaculate (clean and dry)

I'm going to the store today and pick up and OBD II scan tool and see what the car wants to tell us.

Hopefully we'll be able to provide some more solid symptoms, perhaps some codes, and a bit better findings in general.

Thanks for the replies,

Martin (Bnmonster's Dad)

- My other car's a UH-60 Blackhawk!

Old 06-06-2011, 07:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Need Help

Update for today; Initial cry for help solved.

I bought the scan tool and it wouldn't talk to the car which set me on my troubleshooting way. Bottom line, armed with a multimeter I chased voltage off the wiring diagrams to discover that the switched voltage circuit(circuit 15) wasn't powered with the ignition in the 'ON' position. Essentially it's the ignition switch unless someone could tell me different. This explains why the instrument cluster wouldn't light, usual indicators Gen/Bat/Brake not on, and the windows wouldn't work etc.

I did, although not a terrific idea, bypass the ignition switch and back feed the circuit with a jumper wire off the main battery bus (yes I fused it!). At any rate everything came to life and I could begin reading codes to troubleshoot the motor.

Until next time, Cheers!

Last edited by MSGatEase; 06-07-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Search this Thread