Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Recommendations - Car Sat through 3 winters

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Question Need Recommendations - Car Sat through 3 winters

Hello. I have a 1995 A6 Quattro with a few problems.

First off, we had accidentally put the wrong fluid in the power steering system a few years ago. Shortly thereafter, fluid was spewing out from what appeared to be everywhere.. We continued to drive it, not being able to afford the $2000+ to fix it. we were told the rack, pump and all hoses needed to be replaced.

Does anyone know if there is anything else that would 'have' to be replaced in the power steering system because of the fluid mess up? Or, is there anything that might be able to be cleaned and reused? Fluid was definitely coming out of the rack. Since it wouldn't stay in the system, I know that the pump was running dry. Luckily it didn't freeze up.

Second, while the car ran and everything else worked just fine, the car was left in a garage that sat through the last 3 freezing winters in PA.. OMG!

I would like to get the car running again before this winter, and then fix the steering, if possible.

Knowing that it was running well before, I would like recommendations from people that know, what I should do or things I should check, before starting it and immediately after.

As soon as I can get it running, I will attend to the steering issues.

This is what I know, or would guess:

New battery
Change Oil
Change Coolant
Hopefully start?

Does this car use a different coolant like some other Audis? I read G12 somewhere?

Oh, and another problem.. I lost the key. This was a large remote fob style key that only had one button. One of the first infrared keyless entry systems.. Does anyone know if this key had an immobilizer chip in 1995? Would it be possible to have a regular key cut, without a remote that will unlock the doors and start the car? At this point, I don't care about the original keyless entry. It had to be within a foot of the car for it to work, even with a new battery. Might as well use the key.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:43 AM
2nd Gear

No immo - regular key would be ok.
3 winters in the garage - driven in the summer?
When last time the car was started?
One should address the eventual gasoline jellying.
The common procedure after long stay is to open the spark plugs and pour a spoon of engine oil in each cylinder.
One might consider cranking w/o fuel.
Might change the oil before starting..
Expect tires bent out of shape (unless left on stands).
Cut the key after the VIN - dealers ($$$) only.
The state - color of the coolant has to define your choice.
Good luck

Old 07-30-2010, 09:54 AM

Hello. Thanks for the info. The car hasn't been started at all in three years. I had to leave the house for a job, and had no way to keep it heated. The job was too far to drive the car with the broken power steering.

I'm definitely going to replace the tires, although I'm really surprised. Three are still almost full and only one went flat, but that one has a leak in the rim I think. I had to fill it monthly even with new tires.

Good news, I found the key.

I'm not sure how much fuel is in the tank. Should I just try to drain it if possible, or is there an additive that I could use?

What do you mean about the color of the coolant? I expect that I will have to change it, but I don't want to put in the wrong coolant in and have another problem on my hands.. It's amazing how a $3 bottle of brake fluid put in the wrong spot can cause so much damage.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:34 PM
2nd Gear

I would change the oil, fog the cylinders, add fresh gas to what is in the tank, charge up the battery, then start it up. The tires might come back into shape after driving. You will probably get some extra oil leaks because the seals have dried up.

AS for the power steering, you should replace the rack first, then see if the pump leaks. They can be done independently. And, its usually the rack seals that fail when exposed to normal PS fluid.

Good luck,

Bob