B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Lovely Minnesota winters

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 07:02 PM
2nd Gear
Default Lovely Minnesota winters

so i heard on Friday we were expecting snow today. got kinda excited to play with the quattro some more.
we're expecting another 15inches by Monday night.
right now id say were between 6inches and 1ft+, since about 10am.

well when i got off work at 5 and headed out into the blizzard, hopped on I94 which was slow and a bit of a cluster-****.
car handled real nice, little bit of slip but there was NO road visible, to be honest you cant even see where the side of the roads end.
i seen prolly 10 disabled cars omw home from work (strait shot 15min drive on I94 in perfect weather) it took me about an hour to get home.

i was having fun driving down the freeway, jammin' out to some music. the fun soon ended when i realized, quattro is only fun when the snow isn't higher then the clearance of your car =/
i drove most of the way home bottoming out to snow piles so it slowed me down and stole my quattro-thunder. kind of upsetting. prolly doesn't help that im on stock 15s either..

so that was my day. thought id share.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:37 PM
2nd Gear

I feel you, I love rocking out to my quattro in snow storms but when the car is no longer clearing the accumulation **** starts to get hairy lol. One thing that I've learned this winter is that quattro is the best system to drive in our kind of winters but in no way does it make you invincible. When you first start driving it you think you can do anything but you slowly learn that mother nature is ultimately in control and you need to be careful. Just my 2 cents

Old 02-20-2011, 11:48 PM
2nd Gear

yeah! I found this out the hard way...this was when we had those two bad snow storms a few weeks ago here in connecticut,my A4 B5 was still in the drive way,when i woke up in the morning,snow was everywhere,piled up and covering Audina,so i was like..."meh"i cleaned her off and said..you can handle this easy breezy,right Audina?

I started her up and let her get all warm n cozy I was all hype n stuff,YES,SNOW!! So Audina can give her quattro a work out! put her in drive and was going nowhere fast!,i mean i was spinning in one spot!...i went from..woo hoo! to...ut oh!

I had to dig under her wheels,let some air out of her tires as to get a better grip,then rock her back and forth to gain some momentom to clim over a huge snow bank,Audina was behind.

I eventially got Audina out and began my romp,through the snow,watching everyone else on the road stuck and helpless. i never got stuck for more than 5 seconds,so clearance is important,no matter what your driving,i have a new found respect for another "her" and it's not Audina..it's MOTHER NATURE and she says...**** YOU AND YOUR QUATTRO!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 AM
2nd Gear

That's why there will be no lowering or slamming of this man's Audi. In Minnesota you need the ground clearance!

Old 02-21-2011, 02:30 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jdahlen24
That's why there will be no lowering or slamming of this man's Audi. In Minnesota you need the ground clearance!
+1 no lowering here either.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:09 PM
2nd Gear

so we got prolly another foot since my original post.
shortly after i created this thread i made some calls and decided to go drink with some buddies, so i packed up the Audi and began my journey.

my 35min trip ended up being about 2.5+ hrs, i drove the mile down the street to the free way, the on ramp was backed up with like 15 cars including 3 snow plows. just stuck. so i decided to take the back way.
after avoiding many blocked intersections i finally got on to the freeway, its 2 lanes wide, sometimes 3... down to 1 lane.
we had a 10car convey lead by a cop car trailing down the 65mph road doing 30.

finally got to the first house to pickup my buddy and we decided to take a few empty back roads, had some quattro fun, picked up pizza. they made fun of me for driving in the weather for pizza, i pointed at the Audi and said its awd, they understood.

got back on the freeway, first round of plows moved most of the snow, seen a bmw 325 face down in the median. finally got back to my other buddies house, got drunk, past out.

now today the snow picked back up, but a lot of the roads were cleared earlier, so i had lots of quattro fun, it was nice and slick to play on.. but just before i got home the snow was getting real bad, decided to park my baby and head inside. and here i am!