Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new guy with a question

Old 12-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Default new guy with a question

Hello New here thinking of buying an a6 2.7t 6 speed it as approx 80,000 but also has all books and service records from day one done at a local dealer. now after reading awhile still learning I am thinking my first mods would a giac chip and new diverters. Correct. the question I have is I have seen rs4 intercooler upgrades but wasn't sure how much of a difference those make. I know later down the line I would like to upgrade the turbos to the rs4's. thanks in advance

Old 12-03-2006, 01:31 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: new guy with a question

Some thoughts...

A 2.7T 6 speed already has some pretty good performance under the hood. While more power is always nice, I'd submit that you'll enjoy your car much more if you also consider other performance improvements. So...

Does the car have the sport suspension? If not, you'll definitely want to consider upgrades springs/shocks or coilovers. Either way, the H-sport sway bars are another excellent upgrade (I put them on my sport suspension and loved the upgrade).

How about wheels and tires? Are they stock? If so, consider an upgrade to a 17x8" wheel and some good summer 235/45 tires. You can keep the current wheels for winter.

If you're looking at an 02 or greater, you may want to consider a brake upgrade (01s and previous had excellent HP2 calipers).

If you're budget is unlimited, go for the chip and turbo upgrades to boot. If not, the things I point out above may be better places to spend your money if you really want to enjoy your car. Not too many places where you can go faster in a straight line than the stock 2.7T will take you. PLENTY of places where you can enjoy improved performance in the curves.

Good luck.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:10 AM

thanks for the suggestions and yes the suspension wheels tires etc would all be upgraded. just a background my wife's ride is a 840ci bmw e31 chassis with over 300hp currently waiting to get a vf supercharger which will place it over 400hp and approx 425tq my previous ride was a built 928s4 on Nos before the kids came and i had to trade it in on an SUV so yes the 2.7t does have nice power to begin with but I know that I will need ALOT more to be happy. But being new to the Audi world suggestions on all aspects of upgrades from brakes to suspension to engine and even body and exterior are greatly appreciated

Old 12-03-2006, 02:23 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds like you're definitely a power junkie. You'll love the 2.7T -- plenty of headroom to exploit

What year are you looking at?

As background reading, follow the link in my sig to my registry page. There, you'll find a link to Stoney's Links. This is the ultimate A6 resource guide. GREAT place to look things up.

What ever happened to the 928? Always a big fan of that ride.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:26 AM

I gave up the 928 to buy and Escalade[:@] But my son has brought me more joy than any car ever could so it was a worthwhile trade. now that the wife has passed her board exams and is a nurse I have some more $ for a new project of my own I thought the A6 would be great because even though I love her 840ci the 4 doors of the a6 and not bucket rear seats will be very welcome when driving around with 2 car seats. I also like the fact that the a6 can be a powerhouse sleeper where is the 8 is always going to look like a gt.

I was also looking at probablly a 2002 or 2003 because now in CA if a car is 6 years old or less they are exempt for the smog check every two years. and I doubt if my hood was popped on a traffic stop that they would be able to tell the difference between bigger turbos and intercoolers even if they don't have carb eoe numbers my reg will say turbo and i can say that's how it came

Old 12-04-2006, 03:35 AM

On the dash my car Put this Sign Up (( )) can someone tell me what this means I can not figure it out???

[sm=helpout.gif][sm=smiley25.gif]

Old 12-04-2006, 03:54 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: A6 Quattro V6 30V

On the dash my car Put this Sign Up (( )) can someone tell me what this means I can not figure it out???

[sm=helpout.gif][sm=smiley25.gif]
Major hijacking of the thread here -- you'd be better served by posting a new thread.

That symbol indicates that your brake pads are in need of replacement. Sensors built into the front pads trigger that light when they get thin.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:41 AM

sorry have no idea what you are talking about.

how do I create a new one

Old 12-04-2006, 04:43 AM

thanks for that info. thank you so much

Old 12-04-2006, 12:52 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: A6 Quattro V6 30V

sorry have no idea what you are talking about.

how do I create a new one

Just click on the "New Post" button from the top level of the forum (where all the posts are listed). This will create a new post. Best practice is to first search the forum to see if the question has already been asked and answered. And welcome!