Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW MAF starts car then won't re-start!

Old 03-25-2010, 12:57 PM
1st Gear
Default NEW MAF starts car then won't re-start!

98 A6 Qttr 2.8 30v that I have posted on several times here in the last couple of months.
would not start after timing rebuild. after pulling p1857 code suspected bad MAF sensor
replaced and car fired right up. It ran decent (slight sputtering and missing) for about five minutes. sputtered more then stopped. will not restart again and sounds exactly as it did before the new Maf.
What could possibly cause this as I am out of ideas! plugs are wet dark black with gas residue.
Thanks for all replies.....

Last edited by AUDIFIELD; 03-25-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:28 PM
1st Gear

well the new MAF must have allowed the car to start and then it tanked with all the gas and carbon built up in the engine (after trying over and over to start it prior to the new Maf). Cleaned the plugs and checked the SP wires for tight fits and spark. Some of the spark looked weak but of course really tough to tell just eye-balling it against the engine block. After that it fired right up again and is running but with an odd misfire and an intermittent sound that would be best described as a faucet turning on and off - pause and then on and off again.
I see a little smoke behind (towards the engine wall) of the passenger side and am wondering if i did not get the the new valve cover gasket to seat right in that goofy indentation area. Would a "not sealed" valve gasket make the engine misfire?
I have tried three different Vag-Coms to pull codes but all say "link or communication error"
Guess I'll try to test the ignition coils next and rule those out and then pull off the valve cover and re-seat it, then try to find any vacuum leaks etc........if all that fails I'll pull it apart again and re-check my timing work.
any other ideas or thoughts?
Thanks!

Old 03-26-2010, 04:36 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

An interesting predicament. Sounds like a really tough problem to diagnose, especially with your VAG com not hooking up. Based on a lot of the stuff I have been reading (ie: no practical experience with this issue) sounds like you might be having a spark issue. Recheck plugs for tightness (apparently a common problem), wires and coil packs.

Let us know what ends up being the problem.