Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No wipers,A/C or turn signals! Stranded HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 03:01 PM
1st Gear
Default No wipers,A/C or turn signals! Stranded HELP!

I have a 1999 A6 Quattro with a 2.8 . I got into my car to go to work yesterday and the turn signals ,ac and wipers don't work. Ive already checked the fuses and they are all good. Ive been reading in the forums and checked under the steering column and next to the relays i found a large 40a orange fuse blown. I walked to the auto parts store,bought one and put it in and it still doesn't fix the problem (which makes me wonder what the hell that fuse went to). Is this a relay issue? If so, where should i look for the relay and what is the part number so i can order one? Its been pouring rain and i cant drive 40 miles to work with no turn signals or wipers. This is my only transportation and my family and i are stranded until i can fix it. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:42 PM
1st Gear

The B4 and C4 cars would exhibit this problem when the ignition switch failed (which it did around 100k miles). The switch is about $36 from the dealer. I can change one in a B4 or C4 body in about 15 minutes. If it is the switch only buy OEM from the dealer. I put an aftermarket switch in my daughters car and it lasted about 6 mounths.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the help. I've ordered the switch and it will be in today. I already bought a relay and didn't fix the problem. I hope the switch is the answer. Ill let you know after I install it.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by amac
I have a 1999 A6 Quattro with a 2.8 . I got into my car to go to work yesterday and the turn signals ,ac and wipers don't work. Ive already checked the fuses and they are all good. Ive been reading in the forums and checked under the steering column and next to the relays i found a large 40a orange fuse blown. I walked to the auto parts store,bought one and put it in and it still doesn't fix the problem (which makes me wonder what the hell that fuse went to). Is this a relay issue? If so, where should i look for the relay and what is the part number so i can order one? Its been pouring rain and i cant drive 40 miles to work with no turn signals or wipers. This is my only transportation and my family and i are stranded until i can fix it. Thanks in advance for your help.
The orange fuse controls the electric fan that engages with the AC is on. Im not sure what else it controls but that fuse fixed my fan when it would not turn on when the AC was on.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

Until you have wipers again. Rain x. A lot of it.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

Its fixed!! I replaced the ignition switch and everything is working fine! I was really worried that the process was going to be complicated and it was very easy. The entire job took less than an 90 minutes. I bought the switch from autozone for $69,they had it in stock. Bought the 12mm triple square bit at napa for $7 and a new set of torx bits for $10. The best $86 I ever spent! This forum's DIY section was the biggest help of all. Thanks to all of you that post follow ups and tips for others to find, I couldn't have done it without you.