Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil around top of spark plugs???

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 06:04 AM
1st Gear
Default Oil around top of spark plugs???

Hey all, I was going to change the plugs on my 2000 Avant last night and after pulling the spark plug wires out they had oil on the bottom of them. Never pulled these before but I pretty sure this isn't right. There was also a puddle of oil down around the plug on all three plugs on the passenger side. So much that if I was to pull the plug it would have gotten into the combustion chamber. What is going on here??? Anybody run into this before. I want to change the plugs but am hesitant about getting oil in there. Anybody got an idea of what I should replace(gaskets)?? Oh yeah I love Audis but this thing has been a pain in my butt. Guess thats what I get for buying used. Its got around 100k miles on it. 700$ for a water pump, serpentine, and timing belt change, faulty driver side airbag replaced 150$, instument center console has burned out, CEL that will not go out no matter how many(2) 118 dollar incorrect dealership diagnostics I have gotten. First one they tell me my throttle body needed to be adjusted. Fantastic they took care of it and the light was out. Get about ten miles away and what do ya know CEL. So callthe "service manager" and he tellsme I have a bad throttle body. So I order a used one from Shokan. I install it and take it bake to Audi. Tellem what I have done and they reset all the codes and say everything looks good. Get tenmiles away again and here we go again CEL.WTF. Oh yeah also got a ABS light,replaced the faulty sensor and that light wont go out. Technician at Audi said once I replace the sensor it should have gone out. AND now I have got oil ......well you have already heard. Other than that it runs strong. anybody in VA want to buy this piece. PM me Only asking for what I owe. But I would really appreciate any and all help getting this car right. I really do like it and love driving it. Please help

Old 11-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Default RE: Oil around top of spark plugs???

Check your valve cover gasket. I've heard this is a common problem. As for the oil. Stick a paper towel or rag in there to soak it up. Or just take the plug out. A little oil isn't going to hurt the combustion chamber. It'll just burn through.

As for the cel. Buy yourself vag-com (not the cheaper imitations) and the plug and do it yourself. That way you can post the codes so we can all help.

The whole package with palm pilot is $300 here... http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3541702 or you can just buy the program and cable and plug it into your laptop for about $150.