Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak after TB Change on my 2002 A6 2.7t

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil Leak after TB Change on my 2002 A6 2.7t

I bought my first foreign car sight unseen... I knew it would need some work based on what the previous owner told me. They didn't have the cash for its 100K service and drove it anyhow. When it started running poorly they parked it and bought a new VW. I got it a year later at 125K with just about every error light lit on the dash. After lurking around this great forum figured out what I should do first. I replaced the sticking master cylinder, rebuilt the calipers, and bled the system. I did the complete timing belt service. I found and replaced some bad check valves and broken vacuum lines along the way. The diverter valves were also shot and replaced. With great anticipation (and some hesitation since this was my first interference engine) I turned the key. It fired right up and ran GREAT! I drove it around the neighborhood for an hour and I couldn't believe how great it ran. Everything came up to temperature and seemed fine I was very pleased... Until, I noticed the oil running out onto the ground. There was evidence of a previous minor oil leak before my work but nothing fresh and not at this volume. At idle and low speed it is a minor leak. Under load or high speed it just pours out. It's leaking out of the sides and down onto the manifold because I can see/smell that. But it's such a mess now that I'm having a difficult time locating the worst of the leak(s). The only place it isn't leaking is around the new crank and cam seals. I've been scratching my head as what I could have done that would be causing the oil to blow out where it previously wasn't. This is the first turbo car I've owned and the second I've ever worked on (the first was an old Dodge Caravan). In my mind it seems that the engine isn't venting and the pressure is pushing the oil out? But I just don't know... Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really want to drive this car!
Thanks in advance for the help.
Don

Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Willkommen to the forums!

Glad you have found us helpful so far.

Without you being able to "pin down" exactly where the leak is coming from, there are a couple of things that jump to mind. First is the valve cover gaskets. It is a common leak point on cars of our ilk. What you describe is quite typical of a VCG leak, however, not quite at the rate you indicate. There are a couple of reasons why the VCGs can leak. Since you indicated that it seems to be at a higher rate when the engine is under load, your suspicion of it being a pressure problem is reasonable. It is also common for the crankcase breather system in our cars to get clogged. You will find the breather "apparatus" at the back of the motor. The pancacke valve is that round thing at the back of the Y-pipe on the driver's side. All the corrugated looking lines that are attached to it comprise the breather system (sometimes referred to as the spider pipe, for obvious reasons). Once you move the intake components out of the way it is pretty straightforward to access and remove. It will most likely be full of "gunk". It is possible to clean it, but if you have the means it is always preferable to replace it. Be careful when purchasing a new one as there are two versions for the 2.7T that are slightly different, enough that if you get the wrong one it will not fit.

Also, replace the valve cover gaskets. Again it is a pretty straightforward job, just time consuming. Take your time. Use RTV as indicated.

Hopefully, that will solve the problem. If it doesn't, well then you have a bigger issue. Possibly leaky turbos, turbo seals. That can be....well....more money than the car is worth.

Best of luck

Keep us updated

have fun

-not an expert, just an enthusiast

Old 10-04-2012, 07:27 AM
1st Gear

Thank you for the reply! I had checked the spider pipe and it didn't appear to have too much build up in it. It seemed free flowing too. Not at all like some of the totally clogged pics I've seen around here. If they're prone to failure I'll replace it. Would you say the valve cover project is more or less of a time consuming/frustrating project than the timing belt service? Thanks again for the reply and direction!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:49 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

if you have done the timing service, the valve cover gaskets should be "laughably" easy. And by laughably easy, I mean prepare for the same kind of "really? are they kidding? I have to do what to get at (x)?" There is just a lot less of it.

blauparts sells the valve cover gasket kit with everything you will need to do the job. it also comes with DIY instructions, that to my understanding, are quite good. I need to do mine, probably about 6-12 months ago. just haven't gotten around to getting it done yet.

good luck

keep us (me) updated. hopefully you will motivate me to get off my @ss and get mine done

Old 10-05-2012, 11:46 PM
1st Gear

I looked at the Blauparts pages but didn't watch the videos yet. I'll try to pinpoint the leaks over the weekend. When you change yours do you think you'll install the complete ultra enhanced kit or just basic gaskets/seals? I don't know if a car with only 125,000 miles is ready for all that... Most of my cars have had double or triple that before replacing engine components. Then again they have all been big lazy american V8's. I would value the opinion and thanks again for the reply.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

The oil leaks were the typical ones found on this car. It had been sitting for so long the gaskets had disintegrated and the valve covers were very loose. Most of the nuts were barely finger tight. Still working on it in my spare time...

Old 11-18-2012, 12:06 AM
2nd Gear

I just replaced my valve cover gasket last weekend (along with the head gasket, cam seals, intake and exhaust manifold, full TB service and took the intake manifold apart to clean it out and repair the stuck flaps). Anyhow out of all the stuff the VCG was really the simplest thing. Just make sure you add some RTV on those sharp corners since the seal is... well not that perfect

Old 11-18-2012, 04:52 PM
1st Gear

The valve cover project is complete. I'm not sure how I broke the tensioner tool but got lucky and I found one locally for nine dollars. Now I just need to reinstall the timing belt, front of car, and all the stuff that goes with it. Had I found the DIY on valve cover gasket replacement without removing all the timing belt parts it would've saved me a lot of time. I've had this car for months and can't wait to drive it!