Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak help! possible solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:10 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation oil leak help! possible solutions?

Hello
I have a 02 a6 3.0 100k
a few nights ago i pulled up into my driveway and smelled burnt oil strongly and once i stopped smoke was pouring out of the hood
If your facing the car its the left side ( passenger side ), oil is spraying out on the exhaust and burning as well as spraying else where, its not pouring oil out but its making a mess and its definitely leaking and spraying everything and getting burnt up
its near the back of the engine and down from what i can see, i couldnt find an exact location so i am wondering what all components and locations could cause an oil leak, its not spraying or leaking on the top of the engine just down the left side
-possible valve cover gasket?
- are there any sensors around there that could leak?

any suggestions/comments/thoughts will help because i am stuck driving a fwd 99 alero in iowa during all this snow, without my awd im sad and i just want and thoughts on what it could be before i start taking it apart

Old 02-10-2010, 09:37 AM
1st Gear

are there cam adjusters on the side where it could be leaking out of?

Old 02-10-2010, 12:01 PM
3rd Gear

I'm pretty sure the my cam seals were leaking on the passenger side, but I don't think they would be under pressure. There are some oil lines back there, but I don't know what side of the engine, but they would be under pressure. Head gasket could spray oil, but I've never heard of one fail on C5.

I would look at your oil lines, then cam seals. When mine went the 2nd time (cam seals that is), they dumped so much oil onto the exhaust the car actually started on fire. A really small fire, but a fire non the less. Some days I wish I had just sat there and watched instead of blowing out the little flame. But most days I'm glad I didn't let her burn up.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:18 AM
1st Gear

thanks, i should say there was spraying of oil but it was leaking everywhere down onto the exhaust, i am thinking it was the cam seals
then reguarding your fire, lol i understand how somedays you wish you would have watched it gone up in flames, its a love hate relationship but mostly love
but thanks again im gonan check the cam seals, if anyone else has had this problem or thinks theres another reason behind it please speak ill be tearing my car down in a week or two when i have time

Old 02-11-2010, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

in previous forums/does any one of/any information on
a tutorial or anything giving me a heads up when removing parts to check the oil leak i suspect of my cam seals?