Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OUCH! ~ CVT Transmission Needs New TCM (Transmission Control Module) ~ Is This a Common Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 12:15 PM
3rd Gear

I suggest you spend some time researching the Audi CVT (multitronic) before spending any money on it. I would hate to see you spend 2200.00 fixing the control module to only a year or so later spend 5k replacing the whole transmission.

Are you interested in a newer car? Maybe you could trade this one in on something else.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffla
I suggest you spend some time researching the Audi CVT (multitronic) before spending any money on it. I would hate to see you spend 2200.00 fixing the control module to only a year or so later spend 5k replacing the whole transmission.

Are you interested in a newer car? Maybe you could trade this one in on something else.
Hey jeff can't trade this one in as i just got it,don't know what my other options are as i live in Trinidad West Indies. Was considering swaping out the entire engine and transmission for another variant that i can buy online from the UK as my car is right hand drive.If i do the swap do u know what else i would need to change?i know i will need harness and ecu's what about instrument cluster?any advice is welcome. thank you.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:23 AM

using passat v6 2002 model, recently changed the gear box and just yesterday, on my way back home from the mechanic, it went into moving with only high gear and the dash panel that displays the gears were completely displayed. i am just confused and really dont know the next move

Old 09-07-2011, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

Hi all
i have an Audi a4 model driven 75.000 km
i have had a blinking problem with the PRND on the transmission i went to the dealership and they tell me the computer that controls the transmission is broken and needs to be replaced.

i have googled this and found this http://www.bba-reman.com/docs/MAR10ShiftPointers.pdf and asked the dealership about it and they say it is possible to get the computer fixed but then it will take a month.

so basically it seems i have two options unless there is something i am missing.

order a new computer and have them install it with a cost of
2.900 eur
have the current computer sent out to be fixed for 1.900 eur and lose the car for a month.

the local audi dealer tells me that there is no way to get audi to cover part of this since the car is 6 years old, but i am not willing to accept that without at least trying, have you guys had any experience with this and what routes are possible to go to see if they will help with this problem.

i can´t imagine Audi thinking this problem is normal for a car that has only 75.000 km and has always been serviced and well looked after. and besides this problem is with a computer and this is something that should last for the lifetime of the car, it´s not like this part is suffering any stress it is just a computer that is faulty.

sorry about the rant, but perhaps someone here knows of some route to go, paying this kind of money for a car computer is insane.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hoddi
so basically it seems i have two options unless there is something i am missing.

order a new computer and have them install it with a cost of
2.900 eur
have the current computer sent out to be fixed for 1.900 eur and lose the car for a month.
Hi,

Have you considered ordering the original TCM from somewhere else than Audi dealer/service?
I just did order TCM from Germany (see link below) and the part was lot cheaper than the Audi service would have charged for it. I bought the TCM myself and took the part to the Audi service and they installed it (ask the service before ordering).
I saved 400 eur this way. Not much but something. I had to get my input shaft reconditioned also (clutch etc) so total cost was 3000 eur. My car is 2002 model Audi A6 driven 135000 km.
Sorry to say but this is most probably my first and last Audi I am going to have. I want automatic and Audi seems not being able to provide transmission which lasts as it should.

Original Ersatzteile online bestellen fr Audi, BMW, BMW Motorrad, Ford, Mercedes, Mini, Nissan, Peugeot, Porsche, Opel, Skoda, Volvo, VW, Volkswagen online bestellen

Old 10-01-2011, 12:25 AM
3rd Gear

None of you will want to hear my advice, but here it is. If you have an audi with a CVT transmission, drive its *** into a tree. If you have an Audi with the 3.0l engine and a CVT, start the damn thing on fire then slam it into a tree.

Walk away knowing you sent that evil POS back to hell. I have know idea why manufacturers continue to make cars with CVT transmission in them. What a year or so ago Nissan extended the warranty on any CVT equipt car due to a high failure rate. Mini experienced tremendous failure rates, so bad that it was common to only get 30-40k out of one. Honestly I could go on for a while about CVT failures in cars but.. who cares. The truth is you now own an Audi with a CVT, and believe it or not, Audi was unable to make a CVT any better than Nissan or Mini or anyone else could. I believe the only example of a CVT success seems to be in the Prius. Anyways, knowing what you now know about the CVT in your car, drive it into a tree and collect the insurance.

FWIW, the TIP transmission in the A6 (not 4.2 different trans) has been a very reliable transmission. The A6, A4, Passat, BMW 3,5... a **** load of cars used a version of the 5hp19 transmission and it is turning out to be one of the better transmissions in a long time. Our 3 series has the same (rwd) version of my A6s transmission and on the 3 series forums it is considered a bullet proof transmission. So before anyone knocks the TIP, be aware that in this circumstance it is proving to be more reliable than the 6sp manual.

* I of course am not endorsing insurance fraud.

Last edited by Jeffla; 10-01-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:58 AM
1st Gear

I have a 2003 A4 Cabriolet with the CVT transmission. I had problems with it while still under warranty, but when taken to the dealership, they would disavow any knowledge of any problems with the CVT. Naturally, out of warranty, I have the same blinking light and the same potential need to replace the TCU. After driving both Lexus and BMW's for several years, I will never purchase an Audi again. I have had consistent problems throughout my ownership ( I am the original owner). I have no problem with routine or preventive maintenance, but Audi touted the CVT to be less moving parts and a more reliable transmission. I think not. I have things go out that shouldn't..back glass has separted from the convertible top, motor mounts have dissingrated, top leaks where it meets the front windshield, front transaxles had to be replaced, power mirrors move to different locations randomly (even thought I have re-set the features of seat and mirror locations per key), several bad sensors...I could go on. The CVT problem is my latest and I feel this is the one part that should be reliable. My car still looks pristine and I keep on top of everything, but I am considering riding around now with a sign that says
"Do Not Buy An Audi". It has just been one problem after another consistently. To top it off, my local dealer has done damage to my car on 4 occasions when it was in for service...just a lack of concentration on what they were doing...such as belt buckles on while laying in the trunk and placing significant gouges in the back bumper. While they had no problem repairing it, they failed to cover the car and allowed the overspray to cover the car. Oh..I got more. If I contemplate keeping this car, it sure would be nice to hear from people that have not had these problems, but it appears the current CVT control module is common and unavoidable...and expensive.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:30 PM
1st Gear

Just asking here; how difficult would it be to convert a B6 vintage A4 with a CVT to a manual transmission?

Old 03-28-2012, 05:12 PM
1st Gear
Default CVT; 1= Repair, and 2= File!

I have a 2003 Audi A4 Cabriolet. I began to see the flashing "PRND" light on the dash and reviewed by Shop Manual on the car. I also began to do the research on the problem and read several forums, including this one. I hope I can be of assistance to others!

This reply is divided into 2 segements; one educational and one asking for you to take action.

1. The manual indicates that if the PRND light is flashing, then you must replace the Transmission Control Module. This appears to be a flawed part on behalf of Audi and many people have been experiencing the same problem, and at even some low mileage numbers.

From the Forum, it appears people are having to spend between $2,500 and $3,000 to get this corrected. A new TCM part seems to be about $1,500 from the stealership with the labor as the balance. I was not able to find this part from any other manufacturer. It seems eventually your car has to be taken to a dealership for any new part to be programmed. My local shop (not the dealership) has indicated a lot of Audi's with this problem and the process has been as mentioned...replace the part and have the car towed to the dealership for programming the new TCM.

However, through additional research, I located a firm in Canada that repairs the TCM...your part. Not only is the repair far less expensive at $349, they guarantee the part for the lifetime ownership of your car and guarantee the part will not need the new programming. They repair YOUR part. The process is to have the internal TCM removed, then send it via overnight to the firm in Canada, they repair it, reprogram it and send it out the same day. I am in the middle of this process as I write (3-28-2012). The overnight shipping is $139 which is my total cost to get it there and back...so $488.

My shop indicates the labor to be 5 hours to remove and re-install the part. I visited with them in advance so they know the process and were aware that the car would sit in their shop...inactive for one day. If this all works, they are delighted since they would have a new, much less expensive, process for their future clients.

I sent the part yesterday and was contacted today that the part was repaired, reprogrammed and just got my shipping confirmation that the part is on it's way back. My total costs should come in around $1,000. Which takes me to segment number 2!

2. I contacted the National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration and filed a complaint. The shop manual indicates that if the lights begin to flash, then the TCM needs to be replaced. If continued driving occurs, the first potential problem is that the transmission will not shift it reverse. The other potential problems include the transmission locking-up and/or becoming totally destroyed. With this in mind, this IS a highway safety issue!

I feel that Audi has manufacturered a flawed part and should take responsiblity for the part and provide Audi owners a repair under a Recall Campaign. I have filed my complaint and request that other Audi owners with the CVT do the same. If this is as common as I seem to have uncovered, then the failure is not within an acceptable breakdown range. Add to it the cost of repair, I think Audi has left us owners "out in the cold".

I am encouraging people to go to Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and file a complaint. Worse that can happen is nothing. The Best that can happen, the NHTSA recognizes the breadth of the problem and requires Audi to conduct a Recall Campaign and make the repairs at no cost to owners and reimburse any owner for the repairs already made at the owner's cost.

A complaint takes only a few minutes to complete and can be done online.

I hope my experience is helpful to others!

The firm in Canada is XeMODex! Good luck....hope you get home ok.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:13 PM
1st Gear
Default CVT Control Module Repair-Great option and please file!

I have posted other comment to the problem developed with the Continuously Variable Transmission that was suppose to be the greatest thing since "sliced bread". Turns out, there are many of us that have had the problem and I forecast there are others now checking out this Forum because they are now having the flashing "PRND" light on their dash. I am in the midst
(as of today, March 28th, 2012) in repairing my TCM.

I will divide these comments into two sections.

1. I have a 2003 Audi A4 Cabriolet and had the flashing light. I have a shop manual for the car and read the information about how one has to replace the Transmission Control Module. If not replaced, the transmission may first not shift into reverse, then may become inoperable, or could lock-up, then be totally destroyed. From the Forum, it appears most people have been spending between $2,500 and $3,000 to repair (about $1,500 for the new Audi part and the balance in labor). If not installed by a stealership, then the car must be taken to a dealership for the new part to be "programmed".

I have done my research and believe I have found a better alternative for the repair. I have found a firm through the Internet in Canada that will repair the part, reprogram it and send it back. The internal TCM is removed from the transmission, then sent via overnight to Canada. They perform the repair and reprogramming and send it back on the same day. They guarantee the part for the lifetime of your ownership and guarantee that the TCM will not need any further programming. The repair is $349 and the overnight shipping for both ways is $139...or a total of $488. The shop indicates that the labor to remove the part and re-install it is 5 hours. I visited with them about the process and they are aware the car will sit in their shop inactive for a day.

If this process is successful, the shop is going to be delighted since all previous cars were towed to the dealership for the programming AND the cost to the customer was much higher. I may come in around $1,000 for the total and will know by tomorrow afternoon. I sent the part yesterday and was informed it was repaired, reprogrammed and sent back today.

I am astounded that Audi has not taken responsibility for this flaw and assisted owners with the problem. Which leads me to topic number 2.

2. The failure of this part seems not only expensive, but way too common.
From reading even this Forum, it appears this is a common problem. If the TCM fails, the transmission can become inoperative. In fact, the first thing that can go is the inability for the car to shift into reverse. If continued, the transmission can lock-up and potentially be complete destroyed. The failure to operate in reverse or ability to lock-up is a highway safety issue.

I am encouraging Audi owners to go to Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and file a complaint.

Quick Reply: OUCH! ~ CVT Transmission Needs New TCM (Transmission Control Module) ~ Is This a Common Problem?