Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OUCH! ~ CVT Transmission Needs New TCM (Transmission Control Module) ~ Is This a Common Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:06 AM
1st Gear

i have the same problem and order my parts out of sacramento (BW dismantlers) i got the used tcm $137 slapped it in and the problem was solved. in short don't f*ckk with the cabin filter that sits on the fire wall. when it rains it poors into the passagers feet well and the tcm will not like that moister

Old 03-30-2012, 10:32 AM
1st Gear
Default Response to Jazzmaster

I had posted a lengthly comment to the site, which I do not see in this thread, regarding the CVT and potential repairs that can be much less than the cost at the stealership...hopefully, without the need for the re-programming at the dealership. See if you can locate my comments under
Richard A4.

Hope that helps!

Old 04-03-2012, 10:11 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by csobel
Jass-
I would search around for a TCM out of a salvage. Those pop up on ebay once in a while, tcm's for tips usually run about 3-500 bucks, which sucks, but its a lot better than 2k. Also check for local salvages.
I feel your pain, though. The cvt is rare-ish so parts are $$$.

when i bought my used tcm i was able to find a dismantler in roseville, ca that not only was very informative but also had every part i needed. the tcm plus shipping to navada only was 160 dollars. don't be fooled tho by just plugging it in. you need your old tcm for the codes, you will need vag com for this as well. the dismantler is something like BW dismantlers or something like that for some reason the number in my phone says dad auto dismantler... i don't know where i got that name but hey heres the number 888 656 6556 give them a call and talk it over they are very helpful. and ship nation wide

Old 03-05-2013, 02:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Tcm

I am happy to reply and provide some information. I have a 2003 A4 Cabriolet with the 3.0 engine. The flashing on your dash is the warning to get the TCM changed. Do Not keep driving the car. If driven too long with that condition the transmission can self-distruct. It is truly an electronic component and if the TCM sends the wrong messages, it can destroy the transmission.

Audi has a flaw in the programming of the TCM and it will show up, usually around 100,000 miles. As you might expect, Audi disavows any knowledge of the problem (even though they had allowed Nissan to use the transmission also and problems show up on those cars also).

The dealer was correct. You will need a new transmission control module and the dealer cost is usually around $2,000 to $3,000 (for parts and labor you should not have to be addressing!).

I personally am now trying to sell my car. I have gotten too fed up with consistent small things that go wrong, but hate some of the big things. I place this in the big things category. I have owned cars for many years and never had to have a transmission worked on..much less one that was suppose to be "much more reliable with less moving parts and low maintenance"

The alternative is to contact Xemodex out of Canada. You can find them on the Internet. They re-program all kinds of electronics, but know about the Audi problem and will re-program your TCM. They charge $350 plus shipping back and forth. If you have a shop that can afford for the car to sit a couple of days, then the shipping can be cheap. If not, the overnight is about $40 to $50 per way.

Since the part needs to be removed and re-installed, most shops can do this. I have an audi repair manual that shows the steps, but just be sure the shop takes the module out carefully and installs it carefully so the "prongs" are not damaged.

You can probably get this corrected for about $1,000. I hope that helps. I have not had any problems with the transmission since as of yet.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:18 PM
1st Gear

I was told you can't buy a used tcm for a 2002 a6 Quattro 2.7, they told me it had to be for that car only, can anyone please help me

Old 04-15-2015, 01:21 AM
1st Gear

I googled XeMODex and it appears that they only handle Volvo parts. Is this a change from when you dealt with them? I sent them an email, asking the same question.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:48 AM
1st Gear

I have a 2001 A4 2.0L (Not Quatro) 4dr automatic (I assume cvt). It is an Australian model, again not Quatro nor Turbo.
I've searched the forums for the "PRND Lights Flashing/car does not go into reverse" threads which my car has started to do lately - shifting into neutral at 100kph at rush hour!
I was convinced that my problem lay with the TCModlule/TCUnit (have seen both names to the unit). Then I took the car to my local mechanic who brought up the diagnostic codes, and came up with P0706 - 'Inhibitor Switch'. Reading further into the forums, I see this P0706 code being cited as the cause of the flashing and reverse problem.
So, I'm hoping that someone can tell me with some amount of certainty if the problem lies with the TCM, or the Inhibitor Switch - or both for that matter.
The location for the TCM for my model seems to be elusive as well. I've seen it being diagramed as being under the bonnet, far left hand side as you're facing the car, or that it is imbedded in the transmission itself which would require the tranny to be dropped.
Finally, if the tranny does need to be dropped, would it make sense to replace both the TCM (if we agree that is where the problem lies) and the Inhibitor Switch? Do they both seem to 'go out' as a pair?

Thank you for your expertise.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:44 AM
1st Gear
Default Cvt

I'm glad to offer any information I can. Sorry you are having the TCM problem, but welcome to the club! I fought this with the dealership when I first began to have problems and they denied there was anything wrong.

I was the one that did use Xemodex ( I think that is the right spelling...I have my repair files, but not at the office to verify their spelling and contact information) and they repaired my TCM. They DID do the work on Audi's when I used them.

Subsequent to the repair I did, there was a class action lawsuit against Audi for the transmission flaws, of which Audi did agree to either repair or reimburse the owner for the repair of the TCM's. The settlement affected any car with 100,000 miles or less and 10 years of age or less. I had spent the funds for the repair, but my car was just over 100,000, so my reimbursement was denied, even though I had documentation of reporting the problem to the Dealer prior to 100,000 miles.

I have since gone back to BMW.

The Transmission Control Module in located IN the transmission, toward the back. It must be taken out with care since there are some protruding parts that you do not want to damage. The transmission does not have to be taken out, the module is accessible, but some support parts have to be removed to get at it. I have the shop manual description of how to remove and replace it if you need it.

Do address the problem as soon as you can. If left unaddressed, the software can continue to degrade the transmission. First , the light blinks, then you have some issues with backing up, then some issues with jerking and it can reach a point of total destruction of the transmission.

I never had any issues with the inhibitor switch, so I can address that.

I hope this helped some!

Old 04-16-2015, 07:39 AM
1st Gear
Default TCU/Inhibitor Switch

Hello Richard, thank you for your reply. I saw your reference to Xemodex in a previous post, and googled them. I don't know if it was just the page that I entered their site on, but they seemed to only do Volvo work. I emailed them last night, and hope to have a reply soon. I'm in Australia by the way, so it's going to be a long process if I plan to go that route.
Thank you again, and I'll post when/if I get this sorted out. Cheers

Old 04-17-2015, 12:13 PM
1st Gear

the TCM IS a common problem, especially for the early year CVT's. Please read through the thread and check further since I have posted many times on this issue with much more detail.

The TCM is a problem and there are really two choices; First, have the dealership install a new TCM (the part is accessible from the bottom side of the transmission) and they also "pair it" to the car. (Nice of Audi to have a process to assure you come back to the dealership only). Choice two is to have a firm, such as Xemodex out of Canada, re-program your existing module. In my case, I did that. I had a local shop that works with german cars, take out the TCM (of which I have the shop manual that describes the process) sent to Canada, they re-programmed and sent back the next day, and re-installed it. The dealership cost can be $2,200 to $3,000, depending on where you are.
the choice two will likely be half that. Xemodex charged me $395 to re-program.

After several years of a class action lawsuit, Audi finally settled with customers on the TCM issue. They agreed to pay for the repair or reimburse for the repair....but only for cars under 10 years of age and less than 100,000 miles. Mine was outside that nice benefit, so it was out of my pocket...even though they had documentation of my concern and complaint PRIOR to the 100,000 miles.

Good luck!!

Quick Reply: OUCH! ~ CVT Transmission Needs New TCM (Transmission Control Module) ~ Is This a Common Problem?