Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1606?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 01:03 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Need more info...

hunterforce eh?
how do i find out who has hunterforce in my area?

it's a 2.7T 6sp 2000 audi a6 quattro

Old 06-12-2006, 02:09 PM
2nd Gear

Hunter Roadforce. Google it and you'll find a dealer locator at their website. FYI, you have what are known as HP2 calipers (font only) on your car. These are a great breaking system that has one weakness: a tendency to warp the OEM rotors. If you end up needing to replace them, you may want to consider going with Brembo or some other aftermarket rotor (ironically, no more expensive than OEM) that has less tendency to warp. Read up on Stoney's Links -- lots of good info to help you better understand these issues there.

Old 06-12-2006, 03:00 PM
1st Gear

so what would you suggest as an affordable brake replacement/upgrade? i know that the dealer wanted 1000 bucks to do my brakes. can i get upgrade brakes for less and install them myself?

thanx for the stony links. i didn't even know that existed and there's ALOT of info on there i'm going to have to weed through.

Old 06-12-2006, 03:52 PM
2nd Gear

I guess it all depends on how good with DIY you are. Check the links in Stoney's Links -- there should be info there about doing your own brake job. $1000 sounds a bit high, but it all depends on what they're going to do.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:44 PM
1st Gear
Default hunter

I just wanted to tell u how much I appreciate your help with everything. I would have pulled my hair out without your 'guidance'. It took me all day to find a place with a hunter machine that had an adapter for the wheel size/offset. 80 bucks and ill let you know how it turns out. cross your fingers that it works or that my boss doesn't catch me out bailing on work half day.

again.. thanx

Old 06-12-2006, 06:18 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: hunter

You're quite welcome. Good luck. Let's hope the balancing takes care of the wheel vibration. I'd also suggest taking the "bent" rim to them to get their opinion on it. If it's not bent, those 16" wheels can make a great set of winter wheels with snow tires (if your climate necessitates them). That's what I did with my OEM wheels.

Let us know how you make out and we'll move on to the next problem -- the brakes.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:18 PM
1st Gear

i tell you. when you're good... you're really good. the hunter took care of my wheel issue. I had found an article on Stony that mentioned a guy with the same problem whose tires were off by at least 3/4 oz on the roadtest. I showed him that article when i first took the car to him and he pulled it in and started his work on it. came back to me like an hour later and told me he had to rebalance EVERY tire. the hunter reported 3 out of the 4 rims over an oz off! i couldn't believe it! i took it out on the highway on the way home and it feels like floating on a cloud!!!!!!!

so i'm going to have my friend come over with his diagnostic reader and have him clear the p1606 code. hopefully it won't come back. as far as the OLD bent rim. I have 5 rims (4+full size spare) and i'm sure i can salvage 4 solid rims out of it for the winter (which i plan on doing).

Next is the ABS module. I was planning on taking the wheels off and cleaning the sensor's and looking for any damaged wires / contacts. I found a couple links on Stony that gives some nice screen shots. I hope it's just a wiring issue and i pray i don't have to send it to module master. Regardless. I think this is a much better and affordable path than taking it to the dealer.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:48 PM
2nd Gear

VICTORY! Glad to hear things worked out. BTW, you may want to being your Roadforce output page (they did give you one, right?) back to the other dealer to get some money out of them for an improper balancing. Alternatively, have them install your winter tires for free. THEN take them somewhere else to get balanced!

Old 06-12-2006, 08:52 PM
1st Gear

you may want to bring your Roadforce output page (they did give you one, right?)

huh? no such page?

it's ok. the guy gave me a smoking deal on my wheels and tires so i'm not going to hound him. besides my second job and his place of business work together for car shows (he gives us demo rims for our vehicles) so i'm not going to bust his *****. I'll drop a couple of jokes to him to twist the knife a little but i'm not shooting for cash or anything like that.

I bought my rims w/ tires for 1500 and i couldn't find the rims for anything less than 1600 on the internet

Old 06-12-2006, 09:06 PM
2nd Gear

Fair enough. What did you get for your summer wheels? BTW... Need to post a pic! You should also know that you are part of a select breed -- not too many of us 6 speeders out there. We can all pride ourselves on having the quickest stock A6es out there.

Quick Reply: P1606?