Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Leak: Owner spent $3350 replacing every part, has leak AGAIN! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 12:44 AM
1st Gear
Default Power Steering Leak: Owner spent $3350 replacing every part, has leak AGAIN! Help!

Just picked up an Audi A6 Quattro. 1999. Bought today.

It makes some noises (non-engine). It leaks P.S.

It is difficult to make turns.

Other than that it is mint in and out and everything works, drives amazing, engine/trans great. The previous owner spent $2350 not too long ago "fixing" this problem once already. I am sure it is rather common, and did look up a few similar questions.

He replaced all of the following last spring (2011) for $2350:

Diagnosis noise when turning
Control arm = R&R front left upper rearm/mst
upper control arm- front left rear most
control arm - r&r front lower front mostm
front lower control arm - front most
tie rod and or ends - r/r right side
RT and left tie rod assembly
axle shaft assemly - R&I
Axle shaft front left and right
R*R control arm bushing front lower
control arm bushing - front lower rear
alignment
ABS Speed senser R&R
Antilock Brake sensor Front Right

Considering it has many new parts what can be the fix this time around. I mean surely they ripped him off and half of those parts were unnecessary but what are the best places to start looking? I am terrible with cars but my cousin and brother are gonna give it a look, would like to pass on some advice to them.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:08 AM
1st Gear

The $2350 fix did not mention anything re power steering system ...

Power Steering noise in video
B6 A4 3.0L V6 Power Steering Whine - YouTube

Old 01-05-2012, 07:10 AM
Last Place - just "necause"

I do not believe he was ripped off. He had replaced what must have needed to be replaced minus the PS unit. Start by checking the lines and see where the link is located. Might be as simple as replacing a line.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:35 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Lazydog
I do not believe he was ripped off. He had replaced what must have needed to be replaced minus the PS unit. Start by checking the lines and see where the link is located. Might be as simple as replacing a line.
I'm gonna say he was ripped off for two reasons:

1) Labor was about $1400 or $1500....It would take a veteran Audi mechanic with the appropriate tools, all parts, and a great assistant about an hour and a half to do the work.

2) It's the oldest trick in the book to say "well, your left tie rod is bad and we recommend getting both sides done at the same time"....Considering all these parts list left/right he bought into this sales pitch. Now it's obviously great for the car, can't hurt, and it's great for the new owner (me), but spending $2350 in April and then selling me the car for $2,000 yesterday was terrible financial management.

He couldn't predict the power steering leak 8 months in advance but he probably should have dumped the Audi before spending $2350. He didn't even recoup what he spent last April.

Thirdly, he went to the stealership or some rip-off auto shop and they gave him an estimate of $2200 to fix the power steering leak.

Just an absurdly high amount for such a minor issue.

He told me it was the "front lower rack" or something like that. I went to the Audi dealership to pick up the PS Fluid and the guy at the desk said he probably meant the Rack and Pinion...

I found one refurbished for $200 and I called my shop and they said $300 to put it in.

My brother and cousin are going to put it in for free so I will hopefully only spend $200 (plus the $20 I paid for the PS).

Long story short he thought it was $2,200 to fix the problem. Reality is looking like it is only going to cost $220 ($520 if I have to have the shop do it).

I love Audi's!

Old 01-05-2012, 08:51 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by thegreatgate

1) Labor was about $1400 or $1500....It would take a veteran Audi mechanic with the appropriate tools, all parts, and a great assistant about an hour and a half to do the work.

2) It's the oldest trick in the book to say "well, your left tie rod is bad and we recommend getting both sides done at the same time"....Considering all these parts list left/right he bought into this sales pitch. Now it's obviously great for the car, can't hurt, and it's great for the new owner (me), but spending $2350 in April and then selling me the car for $2,000 yesterday was terrible financial management.

He couldn't predict the power steering leak 8 months in advance but he probably should have dumped the Audi before spending $2350. He didn't even recoup what he spent last April.

Thirdly, he went to the stealership or some rip-off auto shop and they gave him an estimate of $2200 to fix the power steering leak.

Just an absurdly high amount for such a minor issue.

He told me it was the "front lower rack" or something like that. I went to the Audi dealership to pick up the PS Fluid and the guy at the desk said he probably meant the Rack and Pinion...

I found one refurbished for $200 and I called my shop and they said $300 to put it in.

My brother and cousin are going to put it in for free so I will hopefully only spend $200 (plus the $20 I paid for the PS).

Long story short he thought it was $2,200 to fix the problem. Reality is looking like it is only going to cost $220 ($520 if I have to have the shop do it).

I love Audi's!
Now, now... let's not jump to any conclusions here. It is a 13 year old vehicle, and it may have indeed needed the parts to be replaced.

One, if someone with an assistant can replace all the suspension components listed in the tag in 1 1/2 hours, then I would fly that person out to wherever I am to work on my car.

Two, there are some components, such as suspension and brake related parts that I would recommend doing it on both sides at the same time. No, not tie rod ends, but control arms, shocks, bushings, brakes and etc.

Going back to the original post.. as bigdadi mentioned, none of the parts listed on the tag is related to the power steering components. Perhaps the issue was raised by the mechanic but the previous owner decided to not deal with it. To be honest, I would be more suspicious of the previous owner than the mechanic that he is blaming.

To cut to the chase, none of the power steering components were replaced under the previous repair. It is not a repeat issue.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
Now, now... let's not jump to any conclusions here. It is a 13 year old vehicle, and it may have indeed needed the parts to be replaced.

One, if someone with an assistant can replace all the suspension components listed in the tag in 1 1/2 hours, then I would fly that person out to wherever I am to work on my car.

Two, there are some components, such as suspension and brake related parts that I would recommend doing it on both sides at the same time. No, not tie rod ends, but control arms, shocks, bushings, brakes and etc.

Going back to the original post.. as bigdadi mentioned, none of the parts listed on the tag is related to the power steering components. Perhaps the issue was raised by the mechanic but the previous owner decided to not deal with it. To be honest, I would be more suspicious of the previous owner than the mechanic that he is blaming.

To cut to the chase, none of the power steering components were replaced under the previous repair. It is not a repeat issue.
I saw that post where he pointed that out and that is why I am not the one working on the car!

As far as the owner, he was very honest. Has tons of receipts going back over the years (he's owned it for over 5 years).

He was the one that mentioned 'I just fixed this problem in April' and blah blah....So it sounded to me like it was a repeat case. I even asked him why he thought it would re-break. He obviously didn't know much about cars.

He was so 'by the book honest' that he turned me away from the deal because he wanted me to have insurance on the Audi before I left his driveway. I told him at 10 at night how the hell can I get insurance. So he wanted to wait until the following day.

So I end up leaving, and walking away from the deal (he turned me away). I call him back and ask if he'll drive to my house so we can skip the insurance BS....He said I can put a deposit on it and when I get insurance the following day I can come back and pay the balance, and drive away.

So when I come back to put the deposit (about 5 minutes after leaving) he changed his mind and allowed me to leave the driveway without insurance. It was really bizarre. I've never dealt with someone so strict and I've bought quite a few used cars.

The shop he took it to said it was the rack. $2200....It's only $500 at the shop I use!

But my brother/cousin are gonna lift it up on a hoist tomorrow and see if it is a simple leaky hose....I think the worst case scenario is that it is the rack which will be $200 for the part and $0 for labor if my brother/cousin do it and $300 for labor if my shop does it.

Best case scenario is it is a leaking hose and <$50 fix....

For the year you can definitely say the car is mint

Old 01-06-2012, 12:18 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

OK

reading your original post, it seems like "issue" the previous owner fixed "noise when turning", can be significantly different from your current issue of "makes some noises (non-engine). leaks PS fluid. It is difficult to make turns". I'm not saying that it definitely isn't the same/similar problem. I AM saying that based on what they fixed and what your current symptoms are it MAY NOT BE the same problem previously fixed.

anyway, good luck on getting your current problems sorted. definitely let us know how it works out

good luck

Old 01-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Last Place - just "necause"

Originally Posted by thegreatgate
I'm going to say he was at the dealership for his repairs, and their prices are overly inflated to begin with. After all you stated he didn't know much to begin with.

That $300 for laber if the shop does it, what does that equate to in man hours? 1, 2, 3 or more? You follow what I am getting at? How much time does it take to replace a PS unit?

So ripped off I am still sticking with Nope.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:37 PM
1st Gear

UPDATE:

1999 Audi A6 Quattro - Red - 150k miles or so - Fully loaded with every option. Interior is mint. Exterior is close to mint.

My cousin said he didn't want to work on the Audi because they are difficult to work on. He had a real bad experience with an older Audi (94ish) that needed a timing chain.

Dropped it off at the shop I always use. $600 out the door including the part....They said it is the rack and pinion.

My gut feeling was right which was the sellers $2200 estimate from a shop similar to Firestone / Dealership price was wayyyyy over inflated. I figured it would be under $1,000....Long story short I will have this vehicle for pretty cheap. Around $2500....I am contemplating selling it just because money is tight and this was a lucky deal.

How much do you think I can get? I was thinking $4500 would be reasonable....And $3500 would be a steal....Blue book value is $5500 in excellent. $5200 in good....It drives really good and luxurious. And it is super super clean.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:57 PM
1st Gear
Angry Ditto

Yeah as i read my mouth kept on dropping with anticipation of "SOMETHING" power steering. Lol...........
Originally Posted by bigdadi
The $2350 fix did not mention anything re power steering system ...

Power Steering noise in video
B6 A4 3.0L V6 Power Steering Whine - YouTube