Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering whining again help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Default power steering whining again help needed!

my 03 A6 started to make a whining noise when i turned the wheela couple weeks ago i added fluid (pentosin)then everything was ok.... it started doing it again a couple days ago so i checked the power steering fluid and it was a little bit low so i added some but this time the whing wont go away not even when the car is warmed up.... also today there was a small leak in my driveway was'nt oil so im most likely it was the power steering fluid....is this a hose or something? any help would be appreciated thanks

Old 01-02-2008, 06:21 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: power steering whining again help needed!

You're probably getting air in the system. Are there a lot of bubbles in the resevoir? Mine looked like a latte.
Take the plastic covers above the PS resevoir and the front of the engine off and check carefully for the leak.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:27 PM

i dont have any bubbles... how do u get the air out of the system? is there a hose that connects to the power steering resevoir? how did u fix your problem? thanks

Old 01-02-2008, 06:58 PM
1st Gear

Mine ended up needing a new pump. Yours sounds like a leak. The air in the system will only show when the car is running and you turn the wheel. Remove the black plastic covers so you can get a good look. There are 2 hoses running from the bottom of the resevoir, the PS pump is on top center of engine behind the top pulley check hoses there as well. Hopefully it's a bad hose, maybe you can shorten the hose a little and use a new clamp. just depends were it's leaking.
After you locate & fix the leak, flush by turning the wheels stop to stop with the resevoir cap off, best with the wheels off the ground. Add fluid as needed.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:33 PM

do u think an indy mechanic can fix this or does the dealer have to do this? when u say stop to stop and keep turning while the wheels are in the airthat will drain the fluid?

Old 01-02-2008, 09:36 PM
1st Gear

Any mechanic can check for leaks, flush the system if needed and bleed. Take Pentosin with you if your not going to an Audi wrench.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:04 PM

cool thanks for the help catdog... 1 more question might sound kinda dumb but how does air get in the system and doyou have todrain the reservoir to get it out?

Old 01-03-2008, 08:08 AM
1st Gear

If there is a leak somewhere, it will allow air in the system.Most often the noise you hear are the air bubbles (cavitation) moving through the system with the fluid. It could be a bad pump but it sounds like a leak. After the leak is fixed, bleed by turning the wheels with the cap off. Turning the wheels moves the fluid and air through the system. You don't have to drain unless the fluid is dirty. If its anymore than a leak, I would suggest an indy mechanic. Also, you're not going to hurt it driving it like this as long as you have fluid in the system, it just doesn't sound like an Audi should.