Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems with check engine and airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 01:23 PM
1st Gear
Default problems with check engine and airbag light

1996 Audi A6 (c4) 2.8L 12V, V6, Base, FWD, AUTO, 121,000 odo

Parts replacement History:
Water pump, timing belt, routine maintance (sparkplugs, wire, Radio, belt, light bulbs, and Tires

I have 2 problems that may not be related to each other. They are the Check Engine light and the Airbag light.

Airbag light:

A couple weeks ago my car died infront of Quicktrip. I could not get it started. I suspected a dead battery but could not determine if it was the battery or the started was broken.I tried to jump it off the Front Battery Port in the engine bay but it would not start.

I had jumped other cars from the Front Battery Port a week earlier and it worked fine (The batter is under the rear seats).

I had it towed 4 blocks back to my house and decided to try to jump it again before replacing the starter the next morning. This time I connected it directly to the battery instead and it started just fine. At this point I had no other issues that a dead battery (it was from 2002 and it's 2010). I replaced the battery and noticed that the airbag light stays on for roughly ten mins and then goes out.

My concerns are: does it work after ten mins? why would changing a battery cause this? I have unpluged the battery to replace the radio twice and also connecting a aftermarket amp but didn't have this problem before.

Check Engine Light:
Yesterday I replaced lights in the instrament panel. I have done this before so I was familier with the process. I took off all the pieces to get the instrament panel out. I unplug only one set of wires so I can get it out just enough to replace the bulbs. I replaced the bulbs and tested to make sure they were working. Thats when I noticed the Check Engine light was staying on. I put everything back together and drove around the block. Everything seemed fine. I drove a couple other places later (at longer distance and time) and I could not tell a difference in the cars behavior except now I have another light on.

Both lights are on the right side when the cars starts and does the
start up checks. The center indicator screen starts up normal and
shows ok and goes blank like normal.

I need a a emissions and safety inspection done in or before Decemeber and I'm guessing it will not pass unless I fix these problems.

I'm grateful for any help or suggestions. I can provide more pics and info if needed.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:53 PM
1st Gear

Update!

I have the code P0401:Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected
which should mean somethings is worng with the EGR system. I'll take a look to see if its leaking any presure of if the valve is dirty.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:29 AM
2nd Gear

On your airbag light, I would look to see if a cennection to an airbag sensor in the rear seat has come undone.

Bob

Old 11-05-2010, 12:05 PM
1st Gear

hmmm... I cant find the airbag system, however I cant find anything unplugged or lose either.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:14 PM
1st Gear

ok I fixed both problems today.

First the check engine light. I only pulled apart what I needed to get to the EGR valve. I cleaned a couple hoses only. They egr hose didnt seem to have much however one on the hoses that goes into the engine from the airintake was dirty and cracked. I just replaced it.

for the airbag light, I discontected the barrtery completely, and left off for aboout 35 - 40 mins.

both lights go away now like normal at start up.

My only concern is that I just reseted the computers that store the codes and might come back after I drive enough miles, but I'll give it a couple weeks and see how it goes.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:32 PM
1st Gear

You need to drive 50 to 70 miles to get enough data to pass ispection.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:21 PM
3rd Gear

I'm with Bob in regards to the airbag light. I'm sure initially when you removed the back seat you bumped the airbag cable. When you removed the seat again to verify the cable was fine it probably wiggled it back to its happy place. Once you removed the battery it cleared the old, now solved code. That's my guess at least. Airbag cables are extremely sensitive, more so than any other cable in your car. But they need to be, they control a bomb that explodes in your face. So it's good that they are highly sensitive so it doesn't deploy incorrectly.

If you can, pick up a vag-com for future use.