Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

prolonging turbo life

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:48 AM
1st Gear
Default prolonging turbo life

alright so i have a slightly higher mileage 2.7t that is right now completely stock and has 115000 miles on the stock turbos.

I am working a part time job right now while i attend school and also have those classes to pay for. so i don't have the money to spend on a turbo replacement or anything else expensive.

So i am wondering what tips all of you have for protecting my turbos and what will make them last a little longer. im not very hard on it in my daily driving i am a pretty passive driver. but what things can i do that will help also?

Like i hear piggy pipes help.

also what motor oil would any of you recommend for our cars?
I currently use the valvoline high mileage blend

Old 08-19-2010, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

Piggy Pipes work and so does going easy on the gas pedal. What I mean by go "easy" is not to try and be the Transporter around every corner and straight away... Forced induction is called "FORCED" for a reason. There is a lot going on in your engine without you gunning it all the time. If you simply drive normal, take care of your car, and change your oil on the regular, you should be fine.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:32 PM
2nd Gear

At 115,000 miles, I would not call your car "higher mileage". The turbos can last the life of the car with regular oil changes using quality oil, synthetic preferred, and regular air filter changes using quality paper filters. You have an A6, not a S4, so drive it accordingly and you will be fine.

As for your transmission, control arms, steering rack, tie rod ends, oil seals and etc., you might want to consider another car while you are in school.

Bob

Old 08-19-2010, 01:55 PM
1st Gear

i have been considering changing my transmission fluid. Is that recommended for the tiptronics?

Old 08-19-2010, 02:33 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bob martin
As for your transmission, control arms, steering rack, tie rod ends, oil seals and etc., you might want to consider another car while you are in school.

Bob
as far as another car goes i already have this one and love it. just the reliability issues on the 2.7t really scares me. is there any audis that you can recommend that would be a little more reliable. i realize that they are all going to have issues because of the type of car it is.

i am already having troubles with it myself. turns out i have a short in my pressure control valve thats drainin my battery it wouldln't start today

Old 08-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Tech Certified

2.7t A6 is the most expensive Audi to maintain.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:00 AM
1st Gear

my opinion..I have a 2001 A6 2.7t with 195,00 on it.. My turbos are fine. I used Mobile 1 5w-30 up until the last 6 or 7 oil changes. I started using Castrol EDGE, and I dont have to add any oil anymore between oil changes...I always had to add at least a quart between oil changes w mobile 1, and now I dont, enough said, but everyone has their preferences. Also, let the oil temp go up to at least 170 or so, before you rev the engine above 3000 rpms. Also, try to drive it easy the last few miles before you shut it off.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:52 PM
3rd Gear

Ditto what marcb says. I just flipped 175k and I accelerate gently (most of the time). Change the oil every 8k or so (I do like Mobil1 0W-40 but I cheap out and use 0W-30 when I can get 5 quarts at Walmart for $23). I know you may want to hear this, but if it has not been done...
- flush and replace brake fluid
- replace differential fluid
- I hope you did timing belt and all tensioners and fluid

Piggy pipes are not cheap to install. I suspect it could help but if you don't abuse the car, it is designed to run as manufactured. The only reason I would consider...and it would be a full exhaust upgrade...is if/when my turbos fail and I upgrade to K04s.

But marcb is at 195k and I am at 175k with stock. BTW marcb, I'm gunning for you this winter. With some trips to see my kids in colleges, I may close in on you! If not this winter, then next for sure. :-)

Old 08-21-2010, 04:13 PM
1st Gear

Like marcb has stated, the first order of business is to simply treat the turbos with respect. Keep an eye on that oil temperature gauge. I wait till it reaches the second tick (175˚) before trying to do any real acceleration (unless in an emergency situation, or merging on to the highway). To warm it up, I generally drive in one gear lower than normal, making sure to stay below 3000 rpm, whether accelerating or no.

If, as I draw near to the completion of my journey, the oil temperature has climbed above the third tick (200˚), I'll make sure it gets below that before I shut off the engine. If I can, I'll try to do this while driving by turning off the A/C (ECON mode is fine) and shifting sooner into one gear higher than normal, making sure to stay below 2000 rpm, whether accelerating or no. If it's cold enough outside, and you have a safely coastable downgrade at any point, stick it in neutral and let it coast. If all of that's not enough, set the climate control to ECON on HI temperature, full fan. And if it's still too hot when you reach your destination, set the E-brake, put it in neutral, keep the revs around 1000 rpm, and watch the oil temp needle come down.

I frequently drive spiritedly. I am at 106,XXX with a stock drivetrain, started implementing this strategy around 100K, and have no turbo issues thus far (knock on wood).

Last edited by JediJoker7169; 08-21-2010 at 04:15 PM.