Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question from a new guy

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 11:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Question from a new guy

Greetings all,

I have never owned an Audi before so please bear with me.

I recently acquired this car. A 1996 A6 Quattro with 188,000 miles, one owner etc.

I put a cam belt, tensioner and alternator in the car and it runs like a sewing machine. This car sat unused for more than a year with a dead battery.

I read somewhere that the transmission needs to be reprogrammed after the battery has been disconnected. Can the car be safely driven in order to get to the dealer (250 miles away) for this service?

The only thing that doesn't work is the radio. I have checked the fuse. I read in the owners manual that the radio requires a code (I have the code) to be entered to get the radio to work but the display never comes on which leads me to believe that power is not getting to the unit. Any suggestions on where to start looking? I have already checked the fuses.

Any help will be appreciated!

Ken

Old 08-16-2008, 11:43 PM
3rd Gear

Welcome to the forums !

As you already seem to know check the fuse on the radio first. If it's good, get out your multimeter.

As far as the transmission I don't know for sure. I don't see why there would be any danger in driving the car. call the dealer and ask to be safe but I don't see how an eeprom would lose it's programming simply without power for a year. But who knows, Audi has done some strange things over the years. I would be more concerned with the brakes, hoses, coolant and so forth.

Best of luck.

Jeff

Old 08-17-2008, 04:53 PM

you do not have to reprogram anything. as Jeff said, you should be concern with what he mentioned above