Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R&R windshield washer fluid reservoir?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:06 PM
zzr
Default R&R windshield washer fluid reservoir?

99 A6 Avant, auto, 2.8

I had to remove the windshield washer fluid reservoir to get to the ABS control unit, currently sent out to be rebuilt. I had some problems removing that reservoir. The bolts are easy, but then there are various hoses and wires on the front side that I can't really reach and that keep it from sliding out. I did remove the wiring connector on the rear side. Finally, I held onto something (pump?) on the front side, with the various wires and hoses attached, and pulled down on the plastic reservoir and it came off. But putting it back together I'm having trouble getting that mechanism and the hole in the reservoir to mate properly without leaking.

What is a good way to put this back together properly?

Thanks,

Old 11-10-2009, 08:36 AM
2nd Gear

With lots of sealant! They tend to leak anyway, so in taking it off you probably caused the leak to start. I used lots of silicon sealant on mine. I inserted the front pump by snaking my hand down from the top, but I have skinny arms and it was a challenge!

Good luck,

Bob

Old 11-15-2009, 05:32 PM
zzr
Default Not there yet...

Thanks Bob, but that didn't work. I didn't want to put so much sealant on that it could gunk up the hole, so it is leaking. I could take it apart and try again, if necessary, but am not optimistic that will work. My hands/arms are 'average' size, so I really can't get much pressure on the pump unit to press it down. Is it supposed to 'snap' into the hole?

Any other suggestions? Is there a procedure in the Bentley or other guide for this? There are both wires and hoses on that pump piece.

Steve

Old 11-16-2009, 11:55 AM
1st Gear

I had mine apart, and I have no leaks. Make sure you push the pump all the way into the grommet, so that it bottoms out.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:38 AM
zzr
Default from bottom...

thanks,

I was talking to an Audi mechanic yesterday, and apparently the main things I was doing wrong are trying to do it from the top and not replacing the seal. I'm off to pickup another seal, then will try it from the bottom, where he says you can actually get your hand in to pull it down.

Stay tuned.