Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling sound on 98 2.8 engine

Old 01-11-2012, 03:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Rattling sound on 98 2.8 engine

Guys, I did Valve cover & Cam chain work done around April 2011. After few months (can't exactly remember) i start hearing some rattling sound while i turn the engine on and then it goes away in a few seconds. I took it to my mechanic and he said its the lifters and u shudn't worry much as once the oil is up and running thru engine ur good to go. So now everytime i start my car i hear rattling from engine and then goes away after few seconds.

My qn is shud i be worried?

Also, there is a leak in my car as i top up my engine oil every month. Never saw anything on the driveway. I started smelling some burnt oil inside the cabin last week, just like i used to before VCV work. Do you think the mechanic did a lousy job with VCV replacement or smell in cabin could be another source.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:07 AM
1st Gear

No one cares about my A6

Old 01-12-2012, 12:30 PM
3rd Gear

I will care!!!

If the noise goes away in a couple of seconds, then your mechanic is correct. It just takes some time for oil to get up there. Just check the oil level.

As for the burning smell, take a look around the valve covers. It may be that the mechanic may have done a crappy job. But to his defense, it is pain to get the valve covers/gaskets to seat right. (I did that too.) But you are paying the guy to do the job right. If you notice oil burning residue around the valve covers, then I would have him look at it again. Although the warranty would have been long gone, if he is nice, he may work out something for you.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

^yup, it is for the most part normal on cold starts -- long as it goes away within a few seconds

Engine rattle on cold start - YouTube

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I dealt with this on my old C4 A6 with the older 2V 2.8 motor. There was a TSB on it. The check valve was buried in the middle of the "V" of that motor. Once I got the manifold off and opened up the cover plate, access was easy. That's where the check valve was found on that motor. The check valve was available from the dealer as a piece part.
Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
In the V under the upper block access cover. One for each cylinder head. Not the "for sure" fix, but if your problem has developed over time rather has always been there, a decent suspect. And since there are two, if you can isolate the noise to one sides/head or the other, even better. A few hours to R&I the manifold though, plus the check valve cost. Could also try engine flush just before an oil change, though I go sparingly w/ that if there is any question about seal integrity.