Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliability risk w/ down pipes on 2.7 AT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:40 AM
1st Gear
Default Reliability risk w/ down pipes on 2.7 AT?

Sooo here I am a proud new Audi owner..wanting to make my fast car go even faster. Already had my 2.7 tuned with the APR software. My next step being the addition of downpipes/piggies. There is obviously some great benefits to having downpipes, and from what I've gathered very little complaints or negative side effects caused by them ( CEL Codes etc) I had planed on taking my car into the local shop where I have all my maintanaince doneto get my dp's installed. I talked to another reputable audi mechanicfrom a different shop and he vehemtley tried to persuade meto not go through with the down pipes. His justification being that he had seensome Audi's that had developed CELproblems and as serious as having to replace catalyticconverters. He mentioned he has had issues with milltek down pipes andautomatic transmissions in particular with dp installs. Isthis entirely true?I realizeits not a yesor no answer, butI'dlike the peace of mind knowing im not setting myself up for disaster. I'm kinda annoyed now..

Old 04-30-2008, 08:43 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Reliability risk w/ down pipes on 2.7 AT?

I can't tell you if there are any differences as far as problems go between a manual or an AT 2.7T. I have a 6 speed with APR downpipes and a Milltek Catback exhaust. I also have the APR software with the test pipe/downpipe program which prevents CEL. I am currently running test pipes (No Cats), but I am getting ready to put my Cats on.

I have had this setup for awhile and to this date, I have had no problems. As a matter of fact, my car runs so much better because the exhaust is so free flowing. When you add aftermarket downpipes from APR, Milltek or Vast, they eliminate the precat directly behind the turbo which will eliminate excessive heat (turbo killer) and makes it less restrictive so your turbo's will spool much better.

APR and Milltek use a high Flow cat to whereas Vast uses direct replacement cats (if i'm wrong on Vast, please let me know). If you do not have the APR testpipe/downpipe program and you install aftermarket downpipes, you will get a CEL. That program is crucial!

The install of my DP's took about 8 hours with help.

OOOO

Old 04-30-2008, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

well since neither Milltek or APR does not offer a downpipe setup for the AT 2.7t..I will end up going with the VAST setup. If I do this then I need to get the APR test pipe/down pipe program to avoid getting a CEL or other potential problems...? Is this an added software program?

Old 04-30-2008, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

When you get your Piggies installed, you will need the APR DP/TP program. I am not sure if it is a free upgrade. It might cost (I'm taking a guess here) around $149. I would call the shop that did your APR program and doublecheck. You should not have any issues after that.

Have you performed any other mods? With the APR program, you will need to beef up other areas like your TBB, DV's and air filter and depending on the vehicles milage, upgrading your clutch and flywheel.

OOOO

Old 04-30-2008, 12:48 PM
2nd Gear

I have an AT and I have the VAST piggies. I don't see any negatives/cons, aside for having to pay for them
You will not throw a celnor do you need a program. They move the O2 bungs pass the precat so when you connect your O2 sensors to the new bungs, NO CEL..
It is a great mod, less heat build up and added HP/TQ

Old 04-30-2008, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

Oh snap! I did not know that Formula, good call!!!

Props!

OOOO

Old 04-30-2008, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

no i havent done any other mods yet...I had already planed on doing them but just havent gotten around to it yet. Here is my shopping list so far, APR R1 DV's, EVOMS CAI, anda TBB...is the flywheel all that necessary? The car has 55k on it, but Idont drive it like its stolen on a regular basis...i baby my baby. Overall sounds like I'll be ok, your info has helpedme make my decision, thanks a lot! I'm going to do the other mods first thoughjust to be safe...Thanks again.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:16 AM
2nd Gear

yea you wont get a cel from vast pigs ... teh o2 sensor is moved up and there is enough slack in the stock line ... just pull it out from behind the trans casing ... reconnect and your golden

Old 05-03-2008, 10:52 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: audiPDX

no i havent done any other mods yet...I had already planed on doing them but just havent gotten around to it yet. Here is my shopping list so far, APR R1 DV's, EVOMS CAI, anda TBB...is the flywheel all that necessary? The car has 55k on it, but Idont drive it like its stolen on a regular basis...i baby my baby. Overall sounds like I'll be ok, your info has helpedme make my decision, thanks a lot! I'm going to do the other mods first thoughjust to be safe...Thanks again.
hey I personally would do these mods in this order if you can't do them at once

DVs
Bipie or SMACO TBB
Chip (APR is my fave not for sheer perf but for the combination or perf and driveability and less strain on turbos)
VAST Piggies
Exhaust

then if you go faster you gotta brake and handle better

SS brake lines
new pads
blue motul brake fluid
(or BBK if you have $)

Hsport sway bars

Shocks and Springs

fun stuff are: RS6 lip spoiler for trunk, S6 door blades, new front grille, clear corners, smoked tail lights, tint, debadge (FREE)...