Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replace all 4 tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:04 AM
1st Gear
Default replace all 4 tires

On a 2000 audi 4.2 quattro is it necessary to replace all four tires when one goes bad? I had a flat tire and every shop I went to said you have to replace all four tires not just one. They said it has something to do with the fact that if one tires tread is bigger then the other three then it pulls harder and the sensors pick it up and it can mess up the transmission or something like that. Is that true?

Old 11-19-2007, 11:21 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: replace all 4 tires

It depends on how worn the other tires are. According to Audi, the tires must have no more than a 4/32" difference in tread depth between the tires for Quattro. They do not avhe to match perfectly, but they should be no more than the 4/32" difference. FYI - new tires come with about 10/32" tread depth. If you are unsure about the depth of your other tires, you can spend a couple of dollars at an auto parts store for a depth gauge, pictured below.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

I had the same issue when trying to replace one tire also. The shops wouldn't do it. The reasoning is the speed rating on the tires. Each tire is specified to a certain speed and rotation, if they don't match up the above statement would fall partially true. You just need to tell the shop you only want one tire installed, using the same brand, size and speed rating. You shouldn't have a problem, they just want you to be aware of this so they're not liable.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:39 PM
1st Gear

If you did not intend to change all four tires and initially just wanted to change just one and you dod swap all four...you got beat! If you pull up in an Audi, their going to expect you don’t know much about the maintenance and or mechanics of your car. Your labeled as a shmuck who is just accustom to reaching intohis pocket with a smile and saying thank you…ching ching!

Quick story on why is feel this way, I’m a little fired up here, so bare with me. I went to a small family owned tire service center this past weekend to install two new rear tires I had purchased from tire rack (ridiculous prices, next day deliver). I had asked the guy to pull the fronts off and re-balance all four, obviously the rear’s where inevitably going too be balanced. With a silly grin, he leans in and says quietly, I throw in new valve stems…wink, wink! Okay, There was nothing wrong with the old ones, but alright. So, here’s the kicker.

I stopped in after a funeral and was dressed accordingly and to top it off I was driving a 2006 BMW M5 (my girlfriend has the Audi). So, how much of a shmuck do I look like pulling up to this place? Right?

Bottom line…$40 for the rear tire install and $6 tip to the guy who gave me the new valve stems…thanks pal. So, $46 for two tires mounted and two tires balanced, not the four I had asked for. After dropping off the M5 I’m heading home on the interstate the steering wheel is jumping all over the place. I clearly remember asking the counter guy before paying “you balanced all four, correct†Yes, again I ask, “you balanced all four correct†Yes, he says. ******$$ liar.

Moral of the story, don’t opt for new valve stems, it’s apparently too much and he losses focus at the job at hand.

That felt great!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:57 PM
1st Gear

Yes besides the fact that you should always replace either 2 or 4 tires. This helps with wear and such to keep your tires lasting longer. You also wanna make sure that when u do get the tire if u only get 2 that they are the same as the fronts because of Speed Ratings and such. *point is to replace 2 or 4 of tires. Make sure there the same Tire!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

And as Coors stated youll deff feel vibrations and other crap if you only get 1 done