Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Axle Shaft - now won't turnover

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 06:28 PM
Default Replaced Axle Shaft - now won't turnover

Argh!

I have a 1998 A6 and have just replaced the Passenger Side Axle Shaft. This really wasn't a tough job, particularly when I had a good friend help with the tough part of actually getting the old shaft out and getting the new shaft in.

I did it in my "spare time" and it was about 3 weeks by the time I was able to get the car finished and back on the ground. I was excited and ready to go for a test drive, and much to my chagrin, the vehicle does NOT turnover. I thought the battery was dead, as my kids had left the key on one day for a bit. I put the vehicle on a charge overnight and no dice. Before I go off and look for a new starter (which is my next obvious choice), does anyone have any other ideas?

I've tried both keys, there appears to be plent of juice when I put the key in and the battery isn't very old (about 2 years on a 5 year battery).

Old 10-23-2005, 07:49 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Replaced Axle Shaft - now won't turnover

Doupt its the started, they really don't go this way, but batteries can.

Have you tried a jump from a car with a good battery? (this way, the audi will 'use' the battery of the other car, if its is bad.)

I had a battery in my Mercedes die this way. What happens is they can loose a cell, causing the battery to only produce 10 volts. Other thing is that sometimes corrosion can cause the cables to not make contact properly. Take em off and clean them.

What do the lights to when you turn them on? Is it possible the netural control switch got hit and the car doesn't think its in park? Try wiggling the shifter. Try starting it in neutral instead.

Old 10-23-2005, 08:32 PM

I did try jumping from my wife's expedition and no avail. I also tried wiggling it around and starting from Neutral. The posts are very clean, and I get pretty good juice into the car, although the horn is very weak.

This car also has a couple of nasty electrical shorts and the ignition spring doesn't work real well. I generally have to manually move it back from the start to the run position. The lights will go on.

I would be interested in seeing if there is a way to look at the neutral control switch.

Old 10-23-2005, 11:08 PM
1st Gear

Neural switch is LIKELY either on the side of the tranny, or maybe in it. Not sure how they do it on the Audi for sure. I just know on vehicles its somewaht common for them to act up, BUT, if u tried neutral, its likely ok. (Also seen a guy replace a starter cause the neutral switch acted up)

What does it do when u turn the key? Anything dim? Do buzzers change pitch indicating a current draw? Oh, try checking fuses and relays. I think there is a starter relay to, but not sure where, the fuse box may help.

I guess it could be a starter solenoid (they are what trigger the starter to engage, but again, unlikely since it worked before.)

Maybe it is the ignition key module. they usually have sorta 2-3 positions. ACC, RUN and IGNITION(runs starter)

My old 5000's had a white module behind the key switch that made all the contacts, but as I recall, its was a btch to get out and check. I had to rip the dash out and fiddle with stuff to get at it ( Its not easy to do, for safety reasons, otherwise car theft would be easy.)

On old cars (1970's), one could jump (short it out to make it engage) the starter with a pair of pliers, but no idea how to do that on an Audi, nor is it a good idea anymore with all the computers.