Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing auxiliary fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 02:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Replacing auxiliary fan

Hey fellas,Im gonna be replacing my auxilary fan on my 98 a6 but I don't know how.can some post a link or tell me on how to replace it?
Thanks

Old 06-06-2010, 06:10 PM
1st Gear

If it's like my '99, it was easier than I thought. There's a single sheet-metal style screw in the top of the fan housing. Once you remove it, the entire fan assembly can be rotated (about 10 degrees) and pulled toward the engine. This will allow the four tabs to disengage and then the only thing left to do is disconnect the electrical plug. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:05 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

Thank you sooooo much!!!

Old 10-15-2011, 07:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Auxilary Fan replacement trouble shooting

Audi A6 Quatro 2.7L 1999

Just took the plunge and replaced the auxilary fan and was very proud of myself. Found a parts place in San Diego for $69 :-) and it didn't take too much to replace it.

Buttoned it back up.. and .. $%@#$%@#$ doesnt come on. Let car get to temp and it still does not come on with the A/C running full blast.

So? Where are the fuses? Exactly? I checked all on the inside of the drivers door. Are there others?

I'm guessing it could be the sensor. What is my next step???

Also, my right front blinker will not work. Replaced the bulb and it comes on but does not blink. When I turn on the right turn blinker it goes really fast. tic tic tic but no blinking light in front. ? Hints on this too would be appreciated.

Last edited by GorDog; 10-15-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:37 PM
3rd Gear

Time to look at the relays under the hood - do a search in this forum and it will tell you what you need to know and how to test the relay

As for the fan fuse - on my 97 Avant it was behind the right kick pannel - a real pain to get to - but my guess is that it is the relay

Old 10-18-2011, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by NH_USA
Time to look at the relays under the hood - do a search in this forum and it will tell you what you need to know and how to test the relay

As for the fan fuse - on my 97 Avant it was behind the right kick pannel - a real pain to get to - but my guess is that it is the relay

I have a 1999 Audi A6 2.8 Quatro and the fuse panel is just inside the drivers door the dashboard. Very easy access.

Is there second set of fuses??? 19,20 and 21 all look good by my eyes?

Next step is to replace the Coolant sensor. Got one for $14 at local store.

I still need help with right blinker. Got the bulb replaced by sneaking my arm under the wheel well splash guard. Took 3 of the screws out and got my arm in there to replace the bulb. Found that cool little hint someplace. Not sure where.

But the blinker still not coming on. Buld lights.. but doesnt blink.

What should I search?

Turn signal relay?

IF there is a second fuse box can somebody draw a map or take a photo??? thanks

Old 10-18-2011, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

Try checking if there is a 40 amp orange fuse, that was my issue when my aux fan would not work.

"There is a panel under the steering wheel, look up under the footwell, that must be removed. It can be a little difficult to remove. There are a couple of bolts and the panel will drop down. There is a orange 40 amp fuse."

Originally Posted by GorDog
I have a 1999 Audi A6 2.8 Quatro and the fuse panel is just inside the drivers door the dashboard. Very easy access.

Is there second set of fuses??? 19,20 and 21 all look good by my eyes?

Next step is to replace the Coolant sensor. Got one for $14 at local store.

I still need help with right blinker. Got the bulb replaced by sneaking my arm under the wheel well splash guard. Took 3 of the screws out and got my arm in there to replace the bulb. Found that cool little hint someplace. Not sure where.

But the blinker still not coming on. Buld lights.. but doesnt blink.

What should I search?

Turn signal relay?

IF there is a second fuse box can somebody draw a map or take a photo??? thanks

Old 10-19-2011, 07:09 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ninetynineA6Q
If it's like my '99, it was easier than I thought. There's a single sheet-metal style screw in the top of the fan housing. Once you remove it, the entire fan assembly can be rotated (about 10 degrees) and pulled toward the engine. This will allow the four tabs to disengage and then the only thing left to do is disconnect the electrical plug. Good luck.
My fan is squealing pretty bad. Can anyone confirm whether or not it is this easy to replace??? Most other resources say I'll have to do the good 'ole service position which I don't have space/time/controlled atmosphere for anymore (alas, no more garage).

Old 10-20-2011, 11:37 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nm3210
My fan is squealing pretty bad. Can anyone confirm whether or not it is this easy to replace??? Most other resources say I'll have to do the good 'ole service position which I don't have space/time/controlled atmosphere for anymore (alas, no more garage).
Replacing the Auxilary Fan was not very dificult at all.

You need a short Philips Head Screw driver #2, some wire cutters and some zip ties to do the job. (without crawling under the car)

Take off the air intake and remove the plastic (two screws) to give yourself access to the fan.

There is one screw on the top of the Aux Fan. Take it off and twist the fan counter clockwise... and yes it will come out wiht out taking anything else off the front of the car.

I ended up cutting the wires with a wire cutter the are tied in really good going under the car. I got it about half way and couldn't get to a few on the drivers side. You can do that later when you have the time.

I found that re-running the wires over the top of the main cooling fan and using plastic zip ties was much easier. There was room along the top and I tied it to the hood release cable and than down and around the fan and under some hoses to the same spot it comes up from underneath. Instead of cutting all the zipties to the other wires and having to try and get my hands back under there.. this worked out much much easier.

The plug is underneath a plastic cover. You'll figure it out.

I could do it the second time around in less than an hour. Start to finish.

Now... if I can just find the fuses under the steering wheel today and get mine to work. I'm praying it is not the Auxilary Fan Control unit. Priced that baby out at $199 ;-(