Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacment audio

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 06:55 AM
Default Replacment audio

Does anyone know if I can replace the Audio Radio Cassette / 6x (Boot/trunk) Cd with an Alpine single DIN Sav system and keep the benefits of the BOSE speakers etc, or will I need to get amps etc to run it all >>???

Old 05-20-2005, 05:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Difficult.

The Bose speakers run at some strange resistance levels (I think 1ohm or 0.5ohm?). The Bose equalizer/amp is designed to run these speakers. Most upgraded head units are set for standard 8,4,2ohm loads...using a different head unit and bypassing the amp will surely produce poor sound quality and may even damage the speakers or put an adverse load on the amp. Consult with your local audiophile shop.

Old 06-25-2005, 07:25 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Difficult.

Yes you can interface directly with the bose amps. What you need to do is find the imput wires for the Bose system, and use the RCA outputs from your alpine headunit (not the speaker outputs) to drive the system. If you look on the top of the radio it should show you all of the colors that you need. However you will notice that there is only one ground for the imputs (Low level inputs) VS. independent grounds on each channel (speaker outputs). Take two RCA's (2 pr.) and cut the ends off so that you have bare wires. Tie all of the grounds together and hook up the respective positive leads up to the individual speakers and hook up the grounds to the common ground. This way you can still use the factory amps without rewiring all of that crap in the back where the subwoofer is. Remember to hook up the amplifer turn on lead up to the factory system too, or the factory amp will never turn on. I know this works, because before I took all of that Bose crap out of my A6, i did this with a Alpine IVA-D900. If you have any questions fell free to ask. Good luck. Oh yeah, you will also need a install kit and a special adapter to ensure that you recieve ay AM and most FM stations.

Old 06-30-2005, 03:00 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Replacment audio

Hi Guys,

I'm in the same league too (changing the sound system to an aftermarket one). I own a 97 A6 with the Bose 6CD sound system on it. What brands are compatible with the CD changer and what is that install kit and adapter that Hounz408 talkes about? Where can I get this stuff?

Any ideas about the cost?

Oh the radio unit is in Safe mode, so does that mean that the whole system is in Safe mode or just the radio unit?

Thanks a lot guys

Old 07-11-2005, 03:54 AM

Yes i just changed my head unit with a pioneer preimer getting the stock double din and a half out and also finding the kit but my local audio store found them all for me along with the radio extration too we bypassed the amp and ran all new wires to the speakers completly removing the bose interface the easiest way to do it is to do it the way its supposed to be done amps for subs amps for speakers head unit screw factory bose speakers

Old 07-13-2005, 12:16 AM
1st Gear

Thats way too much effort, just buy a wiring harness, plugs right in and integrates the bose, works great

http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/Da...e_1_c_270.html

heres mine

https://www.audiforums.com/m_20278/m..._/tm.htm#22718