Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serpentine Tensioner Replacement - Advice Appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 05:56 AM
1st Gear
Default Serpentine Tensioner Replacement - Advice Appreciated

Hi there,

Accessory belt tensioner roller snapped clean off on the way to the store and it ended up at the bottom of the engine compartment. Serp belt is still in tact and there doesn't seem to be any damage to the radiator fan. 2003 A6 2.7T with 126k miles on it. Timing belt and water pump serviced 30k miles ago.

I'd like to save 2-3 hours of shop labor and replace the tensioner and belt myself according to the many articles available throughout YouTube and the forums. I do however have a couple specific questions.

1. Are there any advantages to removing the front end of the car for this job?
2. What other components might I consider replacing while I'm in there?
3. I'd like to check on the condition of the AC Compressor. Are there any typical warning signs I should look out for?
4. How much more helpful would it be to order the Bentley Repair Manual for this particular job?

Please discuss your experience or advice.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:35 PM
2nd Gear

You may have JUST enough room to get this job done without taking the front end off. I actually just had a conversation about an hour ago with a mechanic from a local shop that was somehow able to get an alternator out of a A6 3.0 without pulling the front off. How he was able to do that is beyond me.

Putting the car into what Audi calls service position gives you the best vantage point to get work done. The biggest advantage gained is space gained, though it does take some time to get it done.

While in there, I would check your valve covers for leaks as these start to act up around 100-120k.

The Bentel manual will be helpful, but there are a lot of tutorials around here or other Audi-specific sites for you to get the job done without the manual. I've done all of my own work on my 2.7T for the last 4 years and have yet to purchase the manual. I've gotten all of my information from online sources and through trial and error.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

Great info man, thank you for the response. I've ordered a Serp tensioner & belt from ECS Tuning already, but i will certainly look into value cover gaskets. Good call.

Im still undecided as to whether or not i should sell the C5, and replace it with a B8 A4 3.2. The path i choose will determine how much money and time i put into the 2.7T. I love the car and it has such a strong supply of affordable parts and a big community. Its one CEL after another with this motor though!

I will update as i make progress.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:55 PM
2nd Gear

I feel as though any higher mileage Audi will need some TLC as it ages. If you have the timing belt done, valve covers are good to go and don't leak and your turbo seals aren't leaking, I feel as though you're in good shape on the 2.7T. Be warned though, when a turbo goes, it's a **** storm getting them out and replaced.