Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Several problems, I will try to organize well

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 03:25 AM
1st Gear
Wink Several problems, I will try to organize well

1997 Audi A6 Quattro Wagon - love it, dog loves it, has 144,000 miles on it, looks outstanding from the outside, but the interior has something to be desired. Did I mention my dog? Here's a wish list of help I need.

1) sunroof stopped working, turn the switch it makes one click and then it does nothing. Stopped in mid-close and hasn't worked since. Whole motor assembly or should I try the switch first? Seems the switch, relay, electrical are working if the click happens, but no motor response, huh?
2) Hazard/turn signals go on for a moment or work just fine for an hour or so, but will eventually fail all together. If I push the hazard button on the mid-dash hard and several times the left/right turn signals will come on enough for me to get thru an intersection (with hand signals of course), so I think it's that switch/relay right there, but wanna be sure before I spend $50 on a part that may not be being fed properly from the real relay below the steering wheel.
3) OIL comes on in the warning light area every start up and blinks for 20-30 seconds. I've changed the oil many times, I've used engine cleaner and oil solvent and then put new oil in it thinking it was the oil sensor clogged with old oil, but no luck. Help?
4) back mid-brake light failed - worked intermittently, but due to some damage to the hatchback the slamming eventually caused the brake light to fail all together. Haven't even looked at it, but it used to be the warning light would come on, 2-3 bulbs would be out, I'd smack them with a fist and they'd come on. Problems solved. Now, no brake light, no fists, no idea where to start (checked fuses of course).

Good place to start for my first post? Help? Please...next we'll be moving on to brake rotor, shoe and pad replacement. I drive 1000 miles every 2 weeks, I'm in a financial hardship and I need to DYI. So, since I like to learn and I have not other choice than to DYI I have already successfully fixed all four electric windows power relay, removed an antiquated CD player and installed an headphones jack for my iPhone, repaired the driver side door interior handle latch that wouldn't release (had to roll the window down to get out, so embarrassing), replaced a leaky coolant reserve chamber and several small electrical issues like head and hazard light bulbs and wiring. I feel like I can handle the big stuff like the brakes and the suspension, but in San Francisco, I'm taking a big risk. Any help will be most appreciated.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:34 AM
1st Gear
Talking Status update - any help still appreciated!!

Ok, well, here's an update. Any help will still be appreciated

1) sunroof still not working - same status
2) hazard/turn signal problem - bought a new switch for the dash for the hazard lights with no luck so I took the kick plate off beneath the steering wheel only to find the relay was way up by the ignition and difficult to get to in its own little, silver holder. I bought a generic replacement relay and it works great. I didn't stuff the relay back into the little, silver holder like it probably should be, I kind of wedged it between the plastic and the metal and called it a day.
3) OIL warning light still blinking, but not all the time now. I'm going to change the oil again soon, so hopefully that'll take care of it when I use the engine wash.
4) back mid-brake light out still - open to suggestions after I've checked all of the wiring, which is intact. I will remove the plastic covering and see what I can see, but any help appreciated. Thanks!