Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

signs of timing belt wear...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 09:31 PM
1st Gear
Default signs of timing belt wear...

I got my 1.8T a6 at a brilliant price, I can tell it's been well maintained and it runs beautifully, but it's missing a lot of service history - notably when it's had it's timing belt done (it has had at least one new one, there's no way the original could have gone as far as the car has) and I'm keen to know if there's any way I can check the condition of the timing belt. I don't have a driveway, so any taking-things-apart isn't really possible. What are the signs of wear? Are there any? Is there anything else I should look out for (knowing Ive already bought it - it's under warranty for a few more months, so if there's something that's about to break I'd like to make sure it goes before the warranty expires)
Thanks to anyone who can help!

Old 05-07-2006, 12:20 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: signs of timing belt wear...

You can pry the cam gear cover off far enough to inspect it with just a screwdriver and maybe an hour total for a novice. It just clips on to each side of the head. Pull the coolant and vacum line ontop of the head and pry it far enuf back to look at the belt. It shouldnt be fraying or cracked.