Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow tires . . . which one's the best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:00 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Snow tires . . . which one's the best?

Yes, as bob martin said, Nokian is world renowned for their snow tires. They're a bit more expensive than average, but from what I hear, very worth it.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:54 PM
2nd Gear

I like my Dunlop D3s. They are Winter Performance tires.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:37 PM
3rd Gear

LOL Nashua is almost Messachusetts --

I lived in NY (finger lakes region with steep hills), Ohio (snow belt near Cleveland), and KY (little snow but tons of ice).

Ky was the funniest-- People would panic and 25% of those that attempted to go anyplace would end up in the ditch. I must admit that one night I started to go home from a friends house and chickened out when I found that my van slide sideways whne stopped due to the crown in the road. I quicly learned that the only way I could move was with two wheels in the dirt at the shoulder. I figured that the problem was going to be crossroads and roads with curbs. Anyway it was a good excuse to spend the night.

Finger lakes with an Alfa was great in the summer but a "wich" in the winter. I once took a girl to Niagara falls and parked on the Canadian side for a drink. The wind changed and covered the car with about 1 inch of ice. I had to crawl in the passenger side - Almost castrated myself on the shift.

Ohio- it snowed 4-6 inches every day. I would leave home with the sun shining- go through a blizzard and be in rain by the time I was at work. I finally bought a Chev 4X4 (shortbed - stepside- 350 gas hog) and put big tires on it just to get to work. It was great because I could park it in any convient snow bank. The only problems were that it didn't like to pass a gas station and my wife loved driving it.

NH - I drive 100 miles a day down 495 from the seacoast to N. Billerica and back. Sometimes the Messachusetts guysplow and sand the roads but usually I'm on the way before they are out of bed. I don't use special snow tires -- just decent all weather tires. Still like the Yokahama TRZ best for all around travel. But I'm not in the sticks like you are. Maybe you need a 4X4 truck with a gun rack !!!

Old 02-20-2008, 07:36 AM
1st Gear

we have a ridiculously steep 190' driveway in the Sunapee region of NH. Right now I have a set of discontinued Dunlop M2's on our audi. they have done fairly well but are beginning to wear. I run Nokian Hakka Q's on my pos daily driver - an '00 Outback with 192K. While both have been good, the Nokians are far superior. They are quieter than the all seasons that I run in the summer, they wear very well, and they perform pretty well on both snow and ice. good luck with your decision!