Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

squeaking when i turn the steering wheel ?

Old 02-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Default squeaking when i turn the steering wheel ?

the last two weeks i noticed squeaking everytime i turn my steering wheel, either side, even if the car is off or runing it does the same thing, it mostly comes from the drivers side tire, and i never heard this kind of squeaking before, its not the breaks, because it squeakes even when you are stationary and just turn the wheel. does anybody know was up with this, or did anybody else have anything like this before, oh and this is on a 2000 A6 2.7T, the steering wheel fluid is full, i mean just turning the wheel a bit either side, it will start to squeak. and when i press on the front end of the car, i can somehow duplicate the noise, but whats strange, just barely turning the wheel either side it will start to squeak immedietly when stationary. is the shocks, bushing, tie rods , control arms ??? or something else.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:09 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: squeaking when i turn the steering wheel ?

check tie rod bushings. lube everything up real well. maybe put it on a hoist or jack the front up take the wheels off and have someone turn the wheel as you listen. that is if its still happening. it most likely is the tie rod ends. the when bushings get old and died up they squeak. thats my sugestion. we get lots of cars in at my work (dodge dealership) and thats usually the problem. let me know what it is when you find out.new

Old 02-29-2008, 05:56 PM

went to the mechanic, and said i need upper and lower ball joints on the drivers side. thats were all the noise is comming, he said its safe to drive but the noise is annyoing, and he would charge me $120 to replace them if i provide the parts myself, is that to expensive or ??

Old 03-01-2008, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

there are two upper ball joints. costs about 200 for each it looks like. then you got the lower ones also. it looks like it would be possible for you to do it but i wouldnt risk it. make sure that with that labor you are gonna get an alignment check. otherwise i would say go for it and get it done. having a ball joint fail on you while driving is not fun in sure

Old 03-12-2008, 04:57 PM
1st Gear

I have a similar problem. Except it only seems to happen when i turn my wheels all the way. If i let off it wont squeek, but if i turn it to its limit it will make this annoying sound. The car does also shake at around 60mph and over. Could this be part of the reason? The dealer i bought it from told me it was a flat spot in the tire. Dont really believe it. Someone told me it could be a bushing. Any ideas? Today it actually felt alittle more weird. idk HELP!

01 A6 2.7t (Tip)

Old 03-12-2008, 05:23 PM
1st Gear

This happened to me not to long ago, did a search sprayed some WD-40 and within a day all sqeaking was gone.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:54 AM
1st Gear

Tryed that already. Sprayed tha springs, control arm etc.. still squeeking. My brakes sqweek a little less though.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

Funny because I have the problem I mentioned and now today mine is showing the same symptoms aszeshkani_usa's. Sigh. O well. Ill see what to do.