B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Steering Wheel Tough to Turn

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 05:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Steering Wheel Tough to Turn

2005 Audi A4 Quattro 3.2l. I hit a pothole pretty rough a few weeks ago but everything seemed fine until two days later I crank it up and the steering wheel is extremely hard to turn. I took it to a shop where they did a power steering fluid flush and told me to replace the bent wheel then bring it back for an alignment. They also said that I may need a power steering pump. A week later I took it back for them to replace the power steering pump but they tell me they doubt it is the power steering pump and referred to another place who specializes in foreign cars. They told me they didn't think there was anything wrong with the steering and wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't said anything: But I need to replace the two front tires, replace the bent the wheel, and get an alignment. I did all of the above and the steering wheel is still stiff to turn. I asked if it could be my steering rack and told me it's fine. Does anyone have a clue what else it could be?

Old 01-26-2016, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

Hey
I have a 2010 a-4 and my steering all of a sudden became stiffer to turn
It is the same slow or fast and I heard it may be some sort of module that needs replacing
pump and belts look fine
Have you fixed yours yet?

Old 02-22-2018, 02:56 PM
1st Gear

Has anyone had success resolving this issue? My 2004 A4 3.0 Quattro just did this to me yesterday. Almost caused an accident as I turned a corner and suddenly lost PS.

Same issue as above - working fine then suddenly not. I did a flush about a year ago with the correct Audi fluid and all worked great for the past year. No pump noise, etc.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:33 PM
1st Gear

I have a similar problem with a 2007 A4 2.0T Cabrio. Steering very heavy. Mechanic replaced the rack and pinion ( used part) = No Joy.
Then they replaced the Power Steering pump (used part) and the Power steering lines and flushed the fluid = No Joy.
They tested the amps going to the control module that manages the resistance at different speeds and nothing was wrong. but steering is no better.= No Joy

They are out of ideas. Anyone come across this and find a solution - software updates from Audi etc etc?

Old 03-06-2018, 05:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hughm
I have a similar problem with a 2007 A4 2.0T Cabrio. Steering very heavy. Mechanic replaced the rack and pinion ( used part) = No Joy.
Then they replaced the Power Steering pump (used part) and the Power steering lines and flushed the fluid = No Joy.
They tested the amps going to the control module that manages the resistance at different speeds and nothing was wrong. but steering is no better.= No Joy

They are out of ideas. Anyone come across this and find a solution - software updates from Audi etc etc?
I would seriously suspect the viability of the used rack and pump. I have a new pump coming to me from FCP Euro and will install it next weekend. Everything I've read points to the pump, or at least to trying the pump before the big job of the rack.
I'll be sure to report back!