Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Angle Sensor - Clock Spring

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 09:01 PM
1st Gear
Default Steering Angle Sensor - Clock Spring

2002 A6 3.0 quattro, 180,000 miles. I have had car 15 months. I knew alignment was off and steering wheel not on center, but not that bad. Ok, so ignition switch goes out. I take off the steering wheel and the clock spring to get to the screws to remove the cover. Battery disconnected for 30 minutes before starting work. I am very careful and get everything removed. Replace switch, reassemble. Now I realize I was not careful regarding having the spring clock rotate.
So after that the steering angle sensor comes on, all else is ok. I am thinking it is because alignment is off from center.
I take car to German car specialty shop in Cleveland area. They do alignment and try to reset codes for angle sensor. Does not work, I take it back, they say the clock spring is bad.
Questions.
1. Does a bad clock spring cause the a steering angle sensor light?
2. It seems like an odd coincidence it broke right when I was replacing it, I was very careful, and not sure what I could have done to break it anyway. There are no other warning lights on.
I swear I have a feeling if I bought a new clock sensor it would not fix the problem.
Could the wires be loose or they they did not reset the steering angle right?
Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:03 PM
1st Gear

Follow up. I took the wheel back off, removed the clock spring. Slowly rotated it clockwise till it stopped. Then rotated it counter clockwise, counting the rotations.
It went from 4 o'clock position around twice and ended at 8 o'clock. So about 2.5 rotations.
From the 8 rotate past 12, back to 12 and stop. Installed, steering angle sensor (yellow triangle with circle arrow around it) has not come back on.
I guess in taking it off the first time I had let it rotate one turn.