Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange "honking" sound from right rear when hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:24 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Strange "honking" sound from right rear when hot

ORIGINAL: NH_USA

Seriously does it sound like the horn that signals thedoors are locked?
It does sorta sound like that, but much fainter. You can barely hear it and it comes from the right rear, unlike the main horn or the honk when the doors are locked.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: heisse_mkII

So you are thinking that when it gets hot, that somehow it is shorting out and causing the honking of the horn? I thought there was only one horn in the car.
I dont really know what to think. It almost seems like it it is vapor venting. That is what the service techs at the dealer thought also. Since the april recall has something to do with a fuel part (cracking nipple, they say) it may be related to that. I do not know where that recalled part is located though. It does not ever get louder past a certain point. Then as the car cools, or the pressure is released (maybe), it progressivly gets lower and lower until it stops. But it is always the same frequency, which is odd. You would think that if it were some kinda pressure or vapor venting or something, it would not be consistant.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:32 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: heisse_mkII

It should be located under the right rear passenger door, near where your honking sound is coming from.
Thanks, I will try and get in there with the stethoscope the next time it does it and see if i can tell if its the filter or not.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:48 AM
Banned

this may sound werid but it sounds like the little security horn in the trunk.. like its malfuntioning or something.. you should disconect it once and see if thats it... its behind the jack kit on the left side of the trunk you have to take the jack out to get to it..... try it once.. thats just what it sounds like...lol i know its weird but its worth a shot... just leave it un hooked for a day

Old 07-07-2008, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

OK, I found it, or at least part of it! Today i spent about 20 minutes with the car jacked up going over every inch (that I could) of the right rear of the car. It is defiantly fuel related but I don't think its the filter. I felt the fuel filler neck and it was vibrating a little when the "honking" was happening. I then unscrewed the fuel cap, it mad the vacuum/venting noise as it released pressure and immediately the honking stopped. So,p could it be something so simple as a gas cap or could it be something else? Fuel caps are cheap so I am going to pick one up tomorrow and see if that does the trick.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:44 PM
1st Gear

Let us know how it works out.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

It sounds like a fuel pump that hates you, but seriously fuel pumps heat up after usage, sometimes this causes the overload to partially open, although mine did not honk when hot, it buzzed and made a high pitch whine. It was indeed a failing fuel pump which failed, I thingk that you should have the rollover nipple service and see if that makes any difference. If not pull the backseat and listen to the fuel pump, it is alot easier to hear with the seat out.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:51 PM
1st Gear

I had a 2000 A6 2.7T that did the same thing. When it was hot I'd get that little honking noise every 1 or 2 seconds for several minutes after I shut the car off. I was told it was the fuel pump cooling down and relieving built-up pressure. I don't know enough to tell you if that's accurate or possible, but since releasing the pressure from the gas cap made the noise stop, I assumed it was accurate and went with it.