Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there more to chipping than just the chip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 02:35 AM
1st Gear
Default Is there more to chipping than just the chip?

I am the new owner of a used 02 A6 2.7T. In the spring I would like to add some performance mods to the car. I'm trying to get information on chipping.

Is the upgrade of the ecu the only modification needed to see the gains the aftermarket companies advertise? Or are there more things needed to be done so that the car can handle the power increase. Please no brand debates. Just layman's tech talk.

Also, the front end is starting to get creaky. Is there a good aftermarket system, or is it easiest to stay with the factory sport package? Okay to name names here.

Thank you in advance!

Is it wrong to think you're racing at every red light you stop for?

Old 11-11-2006, 08:15 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Is there more to chipping than just the chip?

The best thing to do is to figure out what you are going to do to the car.. The best thing to do is get a good chip

it really is between GIAC and APR

I feel GIAC is better for you car because you can do more with it and as I under stand it has more room to adapt to things like exhaust different gas etc.

If you upgrade you need to check out the car. Vac hoses , your Dv's Etc.

As for suspension check to see if you have good control arms. But other than that there are several great suspensions out there

Old 11-11-2006, 10:50 PM
1st Gear

Thanks! I don't plan on ever tracking the car, so I'll probably just stay stock on sus. Any thoughts on mufflers? I DO NOT want it to be loud, just "sporty". Quite to moderate idle.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:45 AM
1st Gear

If you are going to chip and get exhaust. I would suggest getting Dp's for the car. That is the next best bang for the buck. The exhaust is not worth the money if you dont get Dp's.

If you are still unsure about what chip to get find out who your local dealer is and go check them out. That will make a big difference. As for Dps they range from

400$ piggie Dp's

to

1600$ AWE Dp's according to some of the 2.7 guys I have met they both make the same power

Old 11-13-2006, 12:01 PM
2nd Gear

Throttle Body Boot (keep an eye on it and replace with a samco or an APR bi-pipe when it develops a leak -- probably will if you chip it), other hoses (same -- replace with samco when/if leak develops), diverter valves (as others have said) will cover you for what you need to do if you chip.

Now that you've sped her up, don't forget to save some money so that you can make sure she can stop and handle turns at speed. So...

Sway bars (H-sports are considered one of the best "bang for the buck" mods out there), upgraded suspension (if you're not running OEM sport), upgraded wheels/tires (depends on what you're running now of course), and beefier brakes.

Your car will be MUCH more fun, not to mention safer, if you keep things balanced. Stock 2.7T is plenty enough power to get you in trouble if you're running stock brakes and non-sport suspension. If you're going to speed it up, make sure you're maintaining overall balance.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:30 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys. Great insite on the balance issue. You always think about it, but just want to spend the money going faster. What do the DV's do anyway? I'm new to the gas turbos (my first)...Thanks again. Ps how can I post a pic??

2.7T sport, premium, preferred luxury, 17x8 bbs mich pilot sport (summer) 17x8 asa blizzaks (winter) 2x12" 250watt bump in the trunk on top of the bose

Old 11-13-2006, 03:53 PM
2nd Gear

Diverter valves prevent the turbos from over boosting at high rpms. They channel the exhaust gases away from the turbo and directly to the exhaust when the turbos are peaked out. As you can imagine, pretty important to have these functioning properly.

Follow the link in my signature to my registry page. There, check out the "suggested reading" section. Stoney's Links is a GREAT resource for all sorts of info for our cars. You'll find links there to nearly every discussion you could ever want to have.

g'luck.