Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things that go bump

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 06:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Things that go bump

Hey there,

I just bought my A6 yesterday. Upon driving it home I noticed quite a shimmy in the front end, making me think out-of-balance tire. However, when I turn the wheel to the left a bit there is a pronounced loose-part-like feeling, tie rod end style. I am going to cockily say
that my diagnostic skills are high. Then humbly say that some of the members here have vastly more knowledge than I do. Some insight
into the front end workings of this, my first Audi would be greatly appreciated.

I paid $275 to have it inspected before purchase. Oh well. Also it needs 80k srvc

'00 2.7t 6M 81k

Old 06-17-2006, 07:11 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Things that go bump

Sounds like a control arm is shot (A6es are known for this and you're getting close to the mileage that this happens). If you heard a clunnking, it's a dead give away. Did the mechanic you took the car to know Audis well? This is usually something to check for.

While you're thinking 80k service, do you know if the timing belt has been replaced? If not, now's a good time to do it. Check out ECS Tuning for a complete package that includes belt, water pump, tensioner pulleys, etc. (all of which should be done at the same time).

You've probably got a few bucks of work ahead of you (maybe $500 for the control arms assuming both sides are out and $1k for the timing belt work). Time to check the regional forum for a good independent mechanic in your area.

Good luck! Report back to let us know how you made out.

Old 06-18-2006, 04:59 AM
1st Gear

timing belt has been done at 65k

both water pumps too

Do you know what to look for on the control arms to confirm(i,m pretty hands on, Don,t like to wait for diagnoses)

Also, any reason not to diy on the arms?

The mech was a Frikken Bentley/Lotus/Audi/super luxury high dollar bunch of bozos.

It was the place where the car was purchased new and where it has been serviced subsequently.

Old 06-18-2006, 03:47 PM
2nd Gear

Here's a link to the DIY forum here that gives you some background: About your control arms.

Here's a link to a DIY write up (you decide if you're up for it): DIY Control Arm replacement. www.ecstuning.com has the parts/tools you need.