Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Jump or cam tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:24 PM
1st Gear
Default ahhh I think your right!

I did not realize that it would be making the rattling noise if it was the cam tensioner. I will pull the front off and check the timing... and tensioner there (I have the bar and all)... I will put a new T-belt while in there. I did the thermo and pump last year, but the guy I bought it from said he had just done the T-belt so I left it... (bad call I suppose)... Well, a nice 8 hour Saturday form me! Thanks!

Old 04-21-2011, 01:25 AM
Administrator

If he only did the belt, then you need to change the hydraulic damper and tensioner roller (do the idler roller too). Belts rarely fail - when someone posts about blown timing systems, it's typically a tensioner. Do them while you're in there and reuse your belt if in fact it was changed.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Well, Shoot!

Originally Posted by hxgaser
Sorry I did not read the 2.8 part. The reason that I ask was 2.7T has ignition control modules that affects each bank. If one goes bad, then it is possible to get your symptom.

So based on what you are telling me... It is possible for the timing belt to jump a tooth. If that is the case, then you probably have a failing tensioner.

As for the cam chain tensioner, I doubt that is bad unless you are really hearing a loud chatter. If you want to make sure, then just pop the valve cover and visually inspect the pad. You can do that in a couple of hours with a set of valve cover gaskets.

WEll, I pulled of the front and checked the timing... it was dead on, so not a jumped tooth... So, it is not the timing, the cam tensioner chain is not rattling, I have new plugs, ( I will switch the wires to see if the miss fires move to the other bank), So, maybe bad fuel injectors? Or just the sensor itself? I just figured that if it wa the sensor that it would make the chain rattle. Any other thoughts?

Here is what I am about to do:

Switch wires to see if misfires move to other side
Run some fuel injector cleaner (maybe at low rpm the injectors are not putting enough in there but at higher the pressure goes up and it helps it out a it)
Pull value covers and look.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:09 PM
1st Gear

Sorry I did not read the 2.8 part. The reason that I ask was 2.7T has ignition control modules that affects each bank. If one goes bad, then it is possible to get your symptom.

So based on what you are telling me... It is possible for the timing belt to jump a tooth. If that is the case, then you probably have a failing tensioner.

As for the cam chain tensioner, I doubt that is bad unless you are really hearing a loud chatter. If you want to make sure, then just pop the valve cover and visually inspect the pad. You can do that in a couple of hours with a set of valve cover gaskets.

Ok, so, I checked the timing and it was dead on.

I went back and checked the resistance on my plug wires and 5 and 6 read 4.95k... so good as they are supposed to be 5k, but 4 read 5.19k is that enough to cause misfires on 4 5 and 6?

Old 04-24-2011, 10:24 AM
3rd Gear

How did you check that the belt was right on?

Old 04-25-2011, 06:53 PM
1st Gear
Default huh?

How did you check that the belt was right on?
With the timing bar....

Old 04-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Just so it's explicitly stated, with the bar on, the timing marks on the crank pulley and lower timing cover are lined up, right?

Old 05-08-2011, 12:04 AM
1st Gear

So After I do the normal checks and fixes I pull my right side valve cover an find a half in square pice of plastic in there. It looks like the clip / fastener form a plastic box for sokets! it must have fallen through my oil fill hole.

The question is what kind of damage could that have done to the valves?

Should I pull the head, and what is the procedure for that at this point? Thanks for all you input!!

Old 05-21-2011, 10:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Just to be complete...

It was the shoe for the cam tensioner (chain guide), although I have not found the rest of it. When I pulled out the cams and I am missing about 75% of the top one. Anyone know where it could have gone? How high do the valves open?

Old 05-24-2011, 09:14 AM
1st Gear

It cant get into the valves if thats what your asking more than likely it broke up and went into the oil passages down into the oil pan. if thats the case you may need to drop the oil pan and clean it out so it doesnt get caught up in the oil pump screen. if you do some searching on here I know others have made posts about where you can purchase just those plastic guides rather than a whole tensioner.

Quick Reply: Timing Jump or cam tensioner?