Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tiny oil and trans leak need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:31 PM
1st Gear
Default tiny oil and trans leak need help!

i have a 1998 audi a6 2.8 quattro with 100,000miles and noticed underneath my car when i park it after driving small tiny drops of oil leaking to the ground looks like its comming from the oil pan is this gonna be expensive to fix? what can it be? and will bar's engine oil leak sealant stop it from leaking? also when i got my oil change done the guy told me the transmission is scratched and theres a tiny leak there also so is there a way i can check the trans fluid and if its low? and can the leak be sealed or no?

Old 06-27-2008, 12:47 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: tiny oil and trans leak need help!

Unless there is damage to the oil sump from an impact there are only two places the oil could be coming from on the sump that is the drain plug and the seal where the sump pan joins the engine. If it is not these then it has befurther up the engine.

If I were you I could jack the car up and see if there is oil around the sump bolt if there is oil below the sump bolt and not above the that is the cause of your leak, if you have had an oil change recently then odds are they did not replace the sumpboltwasher or add non-setting gasket sealer to prevent leaks (or they over tightened the sump bolt). The other placeI would look for would be oil around the filter if that was not sealed properly when it was last changed (via it not sealing or being cross threaded).

The other places you could look for an oil leak would be the valve gasket on op of the engine. If this the case then oil will be all over the back of the engine and along the top from the valve cover seal down. (if it was the head gasket you would know about it by now)

As for the trans Audi trans are sealed for life units, so they do not have a dipstick that is easy to get to you have to have the car of a lift and get at it that way.

Hope this helps.
James